feels like a whole new bike!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

feels like a whole new bike!!!

I had mad vibration in my handlebars on my 79 GS1000. I attributed a lot of the uncomfort to the dirtbike grips that were on it when I got it. So I went to the local bike dealer and bought a set of Pro Grip superbike grips with the Gel Palm pad. I also got a set of bar end weights to settle the vibration. Damn! It feels like a whole new bike. I even ignored the directions to wait 24 hours to let the soapy water dry. I was taking turns way too fast and lovin it. The bike just feels so much lighter in steering. I think I am going to add more weight to the bars as soon as I find something that won't slide around in there.

Try loose ball bearings in two part epoxy glue once it has set they dont move, if that is to inelegant for you try Dennis Kirk for a handle bar snake.
    Dink

Comment

Handle bar snake

You know I've never been bitten by one but I wonder if they are poisionous?

Comment

As far as the glue idea do ypou mean just squirt some glue in the bars and then drop in some bearings?

Comment

Bar Vibration Help

I read a tech article in a bike mag a few years back. It said a good way to cut down on Handlebar vibrations was to fill the bars with silicone seal, or calk. I havn't tried it, but after the difference you felt with your vib reductions, so far, I'll probably do the silicone thing.
          ---Dave
          Look 5 ways when ridin'.

Comment

How hard would it be to get out if it didn't work? Maybe I could do that and then put ballbearings throughout the bars. I have this stuff called "Great Stuff", it's a foam filler that is used to fill hollow doors for construction. Do you think that would work? It expands as it hardens.

Comment

Sounds good to me, anything that takes up the extra air space is suitable, I am not so sure about the foam filler you mention as vibration would gradually crush it and the ball bearings would start to float around.Have you considered putting lead sinkers in there that are the same size as the I.D. as the bars.
              Dink

Comment

I think that if I had a mad vibration in my handlebars I would try looking for the cause of it. Maybe it is a sign of a bent or unbalanced wheel, front or rear. Fill up the handlebars if you want, but do try to find out what is causing it. Maybe it is a sign.

I had a bad vibration recently after the rear tyre was replaced. Turned out the bead was not seated properly. It recently happened to a mate also.
                Not saying that that is what it is, just that it could be somthing important.

Comment

I had a vibration buzz in my 78 GS1000. Synching the cabs helped a lot rather than trying to cover it up. It was about 10 years since I last did it of course, and it was not far out.

Comment

Vibrations

I had bad vibes in the bars where my hands would start to go numb after an hour or so of driving. First I changed air filter to a K&N balanced the carbs, but the big cause was the wheel bearings. I had one in the front was full of rust and loose like a goose. I changed all four, front and back. Worked like a charm. Best of luck. 8)

Comment

vibration

Guys,
                      Almost everyone is on this one! The post before mine is best! check those wheel bearings! then check the steering head bearings! Suzuki was good enough to fit many of their bikes with "tapered" head bearings. Instead of "roller" bearings the tapered have larger surface to share load of front end. To spend best part of day to remove and grease them will be a good move. To check them place on center stand and move bar from full left to right or other way....notice if there is any,any notchiness in the movement. While it is up there grasp front wheel and tug foward. any play will suggest front wheel bearings are shot. For what its worth if front are gone its a good bet the rear are too!
                      Four cylinder bikes are notorious for buzz in bars! The bar snake will help as will the bar full of ball bearings ,sealed in that is......a good set of Grab-On grips will too,I have had a set on for many a year now and are still in good shape.

Comment

handlebar vibes

Even incorrect tyre pressures can cuase this, as will un-matched tyres or worn out ones! Then there is wheels not aligned or unbalanced.

Comment

Working...
                        X