does anybody have any info on using a GSXR frontend/swingarm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

does anybody have any info on using a GSXR frontend/swingarm

I am interested in maybe putting the frond end from a newer bike on my frame as well as the swing arm. Does anybody have any views on this? I can't really go the way I want with the bike so I guess I'll have to go the other way.

Yes, the front end bolts up nicely. the rear works but requires a little work such as widening the space between the swingarm pivot mounts (on the frame) about 1/8 inch. most people use a grinder for that. you also need to use a shock of somekind. you can weld a mount for the gixxer mono shock or weld mounts on the swingarm for your stock dual shocks. the second option is easier I think.

Comment

will any year/model gixxer fit? Is there one that anyone likes better?

Comment

All GSXR models fit, Suzuki was very kind and maintained similar dimensions right through.
        Dink

Comment

I am prepared to do the same modification on my 83 750ES. I assume one of the pros of doing this mod is to increase rear tire width. How do you approach modifying the front sprocket in order to get the chain moved out to be in line with a wider rear wheel/sprocket. Is there a spacer of some sort that is used?

Thanks!
          Mike

Comment

You can use a 160 section tyre on the standard GS's I've seen without extra shims behind the front sprocket. Using a 530 chain simplifies the change.
            If you want to go real wide you'll have to use the offset sprockets used by drag racers.

Remember, a 160 section tyre may not be 160mm in width.
            Some brands are 155mm, some 160. My MX100 for example is 166mm:s wide ! It's a tight fit.

The easy way is to have your existing rear wheel widened to 4,5".
            This way you won't have to worry about the chain not being in line, you use the standard spacers etc.

But hey, you want new wheels, I know the feeling
            I used a 1989 GSXR1100 rear wheel, their sprocket carrier is identical to the old GS:s.
            It is however more offset on the newer wheel. Get the GSXR brake caliper and holder too.

My general strategy was to get the wheel centered and straight, then get the chain to line up.
            I cut the sprocket carrier 5mm:s and shimmed the countershaft sprocket according to my measurements.
            When everything was lined up it was just a matter of measuring and LOTS of trial fittings to make new spacers....
            Oh, the gearing gets f-cked. The lower profile of my new tyre makes it rev more, one extra tooth on the countershaft sprocket should remedy this.

The front end is easier. You'll make things a lot easier if you get a complete setup: wheel, brakes, triple clamps, handle bars etc.
            I've heard that 1100 forks are 1" taller, haven't checked it.
            You'll need to weld new steering stops, either on the lower yoke or on the steering head.
            I chose to weld them on the lower yoke, forcing me to remove the lower steering bearing. Well, why not install new ones when everything was apart anyhow ??

It can be a lot of work, but it's worth it! Not only for the looks.
            The handling difference is remarkable. Changing a 19" front wheel to a 17" makes it steer like a 500cc bike, I got a new bike!

Comment

Biker66, what size wheel is that for the rear? A 17x5.5 or a 17x6. Just curious.

Comment

17x4,5"

Comment

Hi there biker 66
                  Did you finally get the goodies that you were looking for ??
                  I have a 16 inch front wheel ( from an old 750 honda)) on my 83 gs1100e with the rear end lowered also and it went from steering like an ocean going tug :x boat to steering like a bycycle

Comment

My friend's returning to sweden this weekend, with my stuff I hope 8O

Comment

GSXR frontend/swingarm

I'm actually doing this mod at the moment. But I've found that the steering stem is a litle short in the GS1000 headstock. Has any body else found this?
                      Regards
                      Paul

Comment

How much is missing ?
                        Are there any shims under the bearings you can remove to gain a few mm:s ?

Comment

GSXR front end/swingarm

No, I can't see any shims that I can take out. It is short by about the thickness of the locknut that goes under the top yoke. I can get around it by machining up my own nuts/spacers etc. But I was wondering if anybody else had had this problem, as it seems a very popular modification. I was surprised that it didn't fit straight on.
                          The swing arm is a different matter, as the mounting(s) for the monoshock have to be welded in the right place to make the linkage work correctly (and safely)
                          By the way, where have all the Moto Martins gone? I can't find one!
                          Regards
                          Paul

Comment

This is one topic that really interests me, especially with the front end....

I have a buddy that has an 81 GS 1100E with a Katana front end and wheel, along with a GSXR swingarm and wheel on the back. The mono-shock thing looked a little rigged on it, but he claimed it works well. The only problem is that he bought it that way, and couldn't give any specifics......... :roll:

Comment

Does this lower the front end? do you NEED to do both swingarm and front end at the same time? could I keep my handlebars or do I need to switch to clip ons?I've been thinking about this for a while, and could use some more direction.... and a front end.

Comment

Working...
                              X