mirror mirror...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mirror mirror...

I need to replace the mirrors on my bike real soon, but I want something a little more up-to-date, and maybe a little sportier than the old round ones. I have been told more than once not to get the cheapo's, that you can't see a darn thing out of them due to the combination of vibration and a cheap housing, so I plan to get a decent set. any input on cost? should I be spending more than thirty or forty dollars, or am I simply paying for style after a certain point? I looked for the mirror mount sizes in my manual, but found nothing. Anyone know what the size is on an '80 GS750E ?? I don't want to buy them and then find out that the thread size is wrong, especially if I end up ordering them. Any input is greatly appreciated. Dominick.........

I have the same bike as you and I gotta admit I like th old round ones......U should be able to buy them cheap at ur local dealership like 20 bucks for a set of Rectangular ones with black or chrome....I think it is a universal fit but if not unscrew one and take it with you 8)

Comment

Suzuki, Honda, and Kawasaki all use 10mm righthand threads. I think Yamaha is the only odd ball with the left hand threads.Hope that helps!

Comment

I agree with Alwyn: I like the round ones.

A problem I had with rectangular ones is that at higher speeds they change position, so you are constantly re-setting them.

Round mirrors are more or less balanced, while the rectangular ones are offset in both weight and keel area, so they are more susceptible to bike movement and the wind.

On cheaper mirrors, you often get poor quality mounts that just make any problem worse. I bought a recommended after-market set for my Honda 450 and they worked only for a short time as both accelleration and wind would move them. The movement, even though it wasn't much, loosened them more, so I had to put hose clamps across the ball mounts to keep them in place. Looks tacky, but it works.
        "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
        Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Re: mirror mirror...

I replaced my GS750 mirrors with a set from J.C. Whitney that are rectangular black plastic and only cost 10 bucks for the pair. Later on, I saw a nice chrome set of steel mirrors that really looked great, so I bought them (they cost 4 times what the Whitney mirrors cost) and used them for two days before I changed back to the cheap Whitney mirrors. It seems the steel vibrates more than plastic, and the wind at speed would blow them out of adjustment.
          Sometimes, things that cost more are not as good. :-)
          You will need 10mm threaded bases on mirrors for your Suzi.
          Mirror stalks are interchangable between Suzuki, Honda and Kaw.
          Yamaha is different.

Earl

Originally posted by dominick
          I need to replace the mirrors on my bike real soon, but I want something a little more up-to-date, and maybe a little sportier than the old round ones. I have been told more than once not to get the cheapo's, that you can't see a darn thing out of them due to the combination of vibration and a cheap housing, so I plan to get a decent set. any input on cost? should I be spending more than thirty or forty dollars, or am I simply paying for style after a certain point? I looked for the mirror mount sizes in my manual, but found nothing. Anyone know what the size is on an '80 GS750E ?? I don't want to buy them and then find out that the thread size is wrong, especially if I end up ordering them. Any input is greatly appreciated. Dominick.........
          All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Think about stabilizers (or whatever they're called!) too

Dom,
            You can also buy stabilizers that will help "smooth out" the vibration that the mirrors get. They are simple little things - they have a 10mm thread on the bottom, and a 10mm hole in the top that is rubber mounted inside of a little cylinder. You then just twist your mirrors into that. A note though - it will raise the mirrors about an inch, but the improvement is worth it.

Hope that helps,
            Dave

Comment

thanks for all the good info. I was going to get a nice set of chrome ones, but after the suggestions, I think I may go with the black plastic and less vibration. However, against advice of council, I think I'm still going to go with some rectangular or teardrop styles. The round ones just don't appeal to me. They seem to date the bike, and not much else does, It looks just as much classic as sporty with a touch of cruiser thrown in for spice. What's not to love??

Thanks again to all, Dominick.........

Comment

Working...
              X