Hopeful Owner Needs Assistance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hopeful Owner Needs Assistance

Hi everyone! Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who participates in this website, as it seems to have tons on info. I am new to riding and looking at purchasing a 78 GS550. This would be my first bike ever!

I am wondering if anyone can provide advice as to what to look and not look for when examining one of these bikes.

The one I am looking at has 28,000 kilometres, has some new exhaust, (4 into 1), decent tires, front 90% rear 70%, and a new seat. Now the bike seems to run fine, but what should I look for?

I've heard mixed reactions on the charging system. I am becoming bewildered fighting the internal battle in my mind as to what I think is good, and not good.

Any replies, tips, and assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Andrew
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Looking for Mr. Goodbar.. er.. Bike

8)The bike you're looking at sounds good. The mileage is about 15-20 K miles? My '79 gs550e has 30K on it and is running stronger than ever. The biggest problems I've had were with carbs and timing, both resolved this morning. She pulls 9-10 G on the tach without a hitch. ONE BIG difference though! Until last august mine had been sitting under a clump of trees in pieces for 5 yrs. Someone had put in an electronic ignition that failed. Rather than spend $160 forr a new one on a questionable piece of iron, I went out to Jordan Mn., to Sport Wheels, and bought a used point plate and hardware, new points and condensers for $20, and installed them. Bingo Bango, a running bike. This spring I repaired the intake manifold leaks, cleaned out the carbs, set the float levels, and finally, today, reset my timing with a light. Look out Minnesota!

Comment

Andrew,
      The charging system's on GS's are notoriously bad(but easy enough to fix), but that's pretty much the only thing that isn't great! Keep in mind that all bikes have some design flaws, and the GS series has very few. Also, as long as you perform a little preventative maintainance and routine TLC, the bike should last you years. The engines on the GS's are damn near bulletproof. C'mon Andrew, get the bike! We need another Calgarian in this site.

Comment

petcock

As soon as you buy it get a after market petcock.

Comment

fork seals

Be sure to pump the front forks a number of times and check for leaky seals. When a bike sits for an extended period of time, the seals have a tendency to go bad. It's easily fixable but a hassle and fairly expensive so keep that in mind before you decide on a price. Good luck!
          1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Hey Chucky Cheese, how near Sac are you? If you are north (by Marysville/Yuba City) take your bike to Komplete Cycle and tell them Robert Dally sent you. Not that it will make a difference to their already great prices, but I'm a very loyal customer. Cost me $35 to have the forks rebuilt, thats with me taking them off.

Comment

I dont know why every body says the GS bikes have a poor electrical system?
              nearly all the problems can be traced to the wiring conections, go through and clean and tighten up all the conections, or better yet replace the conections with modern water tight conectors and you will have a very reliable electrical system.
              in my 20 years of riding I have only seen 1 gs' with a failed stator and it was caused by a poor conection to the wiring harness and neglectfull maintanance (oil level wasnt kept up, over heating the stator), on the other hand I have seen several 80's hondas that have burned out there stators and you dont hear people warning other people about bad honda electrical systems.

Comment

wireing

Focous thank you you are right !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                X