X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charging system question

My battery is not getting charged.
    Familiar story?
    According to the Haynes manual, @5000rpm I should be getting at least 80V ac from each of the 3 phases out of the stator. I am getting 86-90.
    The resistance according to "The Stator Papers" should fall between 0.5ohms and 2ohms. Mine is .5 accross all of them. Does this mean I am putting out too much voltage which ultimately may have fried my already flakey stock regulator?
    Could the low resistance be attributed to possibly the windings fusing inside the stator? Therefore putting out a higher voltage? At 1500 rpm it is putting out 25-30V ac from the stator. The regulator is putting nothing back into the battery. I figure the diodes are fried in the regulator/rectifier.
    The wires are getting quite warm at idle from between the stator and the dead regulator. Anyone know why? Is the regulator malfunction causing a backflow of current, heating up the wires? Being a 3 phase regulator, I think 3 wires, (Blue/white),(Green/white),( Yellow) are going into the regulator. One of these wires, the yellow one, has melted in the connector. Is there something else I'm missing here? I checked and cleaned the rest of the wiring, including inside the headlight pot. Do I need a new stator as well? Or can the regulator handle a lot of current coming in?

Thanks,,,
    Brad

yes the reg is probably fried CHECK the GS forum "In the Garage" accessed from the home page, or go to the Electrux sponcers web site
    It has step by step instructions to check your charging circuit

Comment

0.5 ohm between each phase is fine, same as my GS750. Your problem is your reg/rectifier almost certainly, the original fitment was not very reliable. I ripped out my rectifier and my regulator and fitted a single regulator/rectifier unit. Electrex will supply you with one. I live in the UK so I used a UK brand, it was great. Three wires to the stator and 2 to the battery. Very, very easy to install, works perfectly and neatens up the charging system wiring a treat. If you don't want to shell out on this new unit then I know the honda superdream reg and rectifiers work on the GS. Try your local breakers yard.

Comment

So whay are the wires getting so hot?

in"The Stator Papers" hot wires imply that the stator is at fault. The wires get quite warm just at idle, and the connectors are burned. The yellow one even melted in it's part of the 4 connector plug.

Is this still the regulator. How much juice from the stator is too much?
        No one seems to mention that in the boards anywhere.

Comment

Re: So whay are the wires getting so hot?

Originally posted by bhodgins
          in"The Stator Papers" hot wires imply that the stator is at fault. The wires get quite warm just at idle, and the connectors are burned. The yellow one even melted in it's part of the 4 connector plug.

Is this still the regulator. How much juice from the stator is too much?
          No one seems to mention that in the boards anywhere.
          The wires getting hot can be caused by loose bullet connectors. I have soldered mine together eliminating the connectors and the heat. If your stator is putting out 80 plus AC then it's fine, in fact the electrex aftermarket stators put out slightly more than stock so that shouldn't be the problem(never heard of too much output from stator being a problem. Run a good ground from the Reg/Rectifier from the base directly to the battery "-". The Reg/Rect are known to have poor grounds. But my bet is you have a bad Reg/Rect.

Comment

moto_dan has a good point, on my 1000g I had good voltage from the stator but the bike was not charging mutch, just enough to keep things working with a battery voltage of 12.1, I moved the regulator ground to the battery ground terminal and it made a huge differance, I now have 13.4 volts at the battery at idle and 14.5v at better than 5000rpm.

Befor tearing into it, I would sujest moving the regulator ground to the battery and making sure all the other grounds are clean and tight.
            also get rid of the factory stator conectors, its the high resistance of the conectors that is causing them to heat up.

Comment

Regulator

It was the regulator.
              I replaced and rewired, and all is fine!
              I boosted the bike and took it for a drive on the highway, and battery recharged no problem.

Thanks to all that responded!!!

Comment

wireing

Know what really is interesting how could the factory eng.design a near perfect drive train and overall an excellent bike and not correct the problems we all talk about . I feel sure the petcock issue and why they put that piece of garbage on these bikes was a warrenty issue .Maby alot of people were forgetting to turn it of at shut down and engines were being replaced under warrenty. But Suzuki and the other big four all went to this and I would wager the majority of bikes that were given up on through the years were dumping gas in to the oil . Then why not design the needles in the carbs with rubber tips so they would at least stand a chance of sealing . I also own a yamaha 600 Radian and the needles have rubber tips they dont leak! Any way I am just bitching about something that should not be a problem and is. The same goes for the wireing the strands of wire used to build the harness were to small to start with and time and age and not perfect maintence cause them to start breaking down ..The only decent ground on the entire bike goes from the neg. post to the back of the engine .not near good enough! the battery box ground is pure horse hockey.Two small boltsand hanging on rubber in front. then lets ground the reg to the plate that all its bolted to ...Well enough I am getting off my soap box .These things just *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$ me off.

Comment

I hate to break the bad news to you richard, but they havent changed any thing, my buddy has a 2001 yamaha yzf-r1 and it just cooked its reg/rectifier stranding him on the side of the road.

Comment

wireing

SUCH IS LIFE!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X