Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ignition Wires.

Hi All.

Has anyone ever replaced the ignition wires that lead to the stock coils. If so, could you let me know how it's done.

Thanks
    Roman.

Most GS's have the ignition wires molded into the coiland therefore are not replacable without replacing the coil and all.
    Dink

Comment

Re: Ignition Wires.

Much to my annoyance I discovered that my ignition wires are molded in to the coils. There are however, vendors who can supply aftermarket coils that will have detachable wires - at least I hope! :x

Originally posted by Roman
      Hi All.

Has anyone ever replaced the ignition wires that lead to the stock coils. If so, could you let me know how it's done.

Thanks
      Roman.

Comment

I had some aftermarket coils on my GS1000 for a while---they melted with the electrronic ignition (one after the other). Some Kawasaki coils have been there about 15 years, still have some standard ones somewhere. All this happened a long way from home, so standard is ok by me for reliability!!!!

Comment

It can be done, you have to kind of wriggle and pick the old leads out.
          Start by grabbing the ring of glue around lead with pliers and cracking it inwards towords the wire. Try to get them out in one piece, anything left behind can be dragged out with somthing like a bit of clothes hanger wire, maybe bent and trimmed off or hammered flat at the end.
          There may be a bit of glue still inside the hole, kind of like a skin which can also be picked out.

There is a nail type thing that the lead slides onto inside the hole for the connection. Measure how deep it is with wire or similar to be sure the wire is pushed home properly. Use some of your favourite sealer, to keep the dirt and water out and the spark in, on the lead before pushing it in.

Carbon or silicone type leads have resistance designed into them and should not be used with the original plug caps off the bike. Use of a solid wire may require the original type plug caps with their inbuilt resistors to be used. If this info on wires is wrong, someone please correct me ( it is what I have been told )
          I used 8mm silicone leads and trimmed or whittled down the outer casing a bit. 7mm leads may slip straight in.

Good luck with it.
          Trotski.

Comment

just posting to bring this back to the top.

Comment

The wires can be replaced. You need to use solid core wire about 5 ft cut into 4 pieces, you will have toget it from MC shop. I couldn't find it at local auto parts supply. The wire is soldered to a terminal inside the coil. You need to cut the coil housing back about 3/4 inch to free up the coil wire. Cut the coil wireback as far as you can, leaving 1/4 inch of bare wire to solder the new wire to. Note: You don't need to remove the old wire all the way back to the terminal inside doing so will probably distroy the coil. Solder the new wires to the coil, Now we need to patch the coils back together. What I did was to use an epoxie puddy and build up the area around the coil wire to about 1/2 in thich. Let it cure for a few hours, then cut the wires to fit and reinstall the old plug caps. 3k miles since I did mine 8) 8) 8)

Comment

Working...
              X