Gas tank rust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas tank rust

I noticed a little rust on the inside of my tank. The bike had been sitting for a couple of years with an empty tank. What is the best way to remove it? Will it cause much of a problem if it is only a small bit of rust? I just bought this bike and would love to get it up and running as soon as I can but I want to do it right

Thanks Everybody

Carl

There are two ways. One is to buy a "Kreme" kit. That will include an acid, an alcohol and a coating. YOu can also buy a 1 quart bottle of "The Must for Rust" from your local hardware store. I personally prefer A must for Rust, as it is much less expensive and I tend to keep my gas tanks either full or empty so they don't rust again. If you use Kreme, follow the directions. If you use A Must for Rust, pour the bottle into a bucket and add about 2 gallons of water. Pour it into the tank and put the cap on. Turn it over once every 2 hours or so, so that all surfaces get treated. Do this overnight. It will etch the inside of the tank. Once finished, pour the mixture into the bucket and find an environmentally sound way to dispose of it. Rinse the inside of the tank with water, blow it dry with a hair dryer, install and go.

Tim

Comment

Rusty tanks

A friend of mine who restores bikes says that he empties the tank and puts in it about a pound of nuts and bolts and screws and shakes the ba-Jesus out of the tank until his arms are sore. he then empties the tank flushes it with a mixture of gasoline and motor oil and repeats two or three times until the gas/oil mixture comes out clean and speck free. he then rinses the tank again with gas and reinstalls. When he does this he removes the petcock and cap and stuffs a rad into the openings. Oh yes, always add an in-line fuel filter if you have a questionable fuel tank. I have one,
      GY

Comment

Thanks guys! I will look for Must for Rust first as it seems the easiest way. If I cannot find it, do you think CLR will work?

Thanks again
        Ozric

Comment

Tim is right about there being more than one way....I tried a third...had it cleaned and coated professionally. Even got a two year guarantee.

Comparative cost CA$40 for Kreem DIY plus tax and CA$90 for professional work. Check the Yellow pages for Gas tanks.

We don't have Must for Rust here so no comment to be made, but I have read Kreem users comments and they vary considerably. It seems if you don't follow the instructions exactly, or the weather does not cooperate, (you have to work outside because of the toxic fumes,) then it may have to be re-done.

Before taking my tank in, I discussed it with the owner of the bike shop I deal with and he said I should run to the pro. He is now dealing with them himself.

Tim is right about keeping the tank full, which deters rust, but a lot has to do with the humidity levels in your locality, and how frequently you fill the tank. That's because when you use gas air has to come in to fill the space, and it brings water vapour with it. When the bike is in the sun, the water
          stays as a vapour and when it cools, it condenses as water on the walls of the tank, above the fuel.

It's always hard to tell how susceptible your specific tank is to rust, but a general rule is that, once rust has started, you have to do something to stop it, or it will continue to expand its surface area.

You may have only enough to barely see, and you may get away with just keeping the tank full for a long time, but since you already have some rust, instal an in-line fuel filter immediately, because any amount will cause sediment and that will clog your carbs.
          "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
          Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

I thought about CLR as well. I do not think it will do the trick for a gas tank. You want to "etch" the interior of the tank. It helps prevent rusting later on. If your tank is badly rusted i.e. heavy flaking you can start with the nuts and bolts first. Just toss a handfull in and shake the crap out of it. Then move on with the rust treatment. If you cannot find A Must for Rust, get Muriatic Acid from your local hardware store. Use it 2 parts water to 1 1/2 parts acid. Once again, use it overnight. I always use a fuel filter, no matter what. Cheap insurance for the carburetors.

Comment

I looked at 3 hardware stores and two auto parts stores while on lunch and could not fine must for rust so I will look for the muratic acid. I just aquired the bike recently and it is not running yet so I want to do all I can to make sure it gets put back together right the first time.

Thanks again
              Ozric

Comment

Re muriatic acid. (hydrochloric acid)

I haven't done this so I don't know what strength you need to etch the tank. If you buy it by the gallon it will probably come in strength of about 35% to 40% and it can be diluted with water to suit needs.

MOST IMPORTANT SAFETY NOTE

If you decide to dilute it you must NEVER pour water into the acid as it will cause an instant chemical boil and possibly a small explosion that will blow the acid back at you. You can get burned pretty badly.

You CAN add the acid to the water, slowly, and it will not be a problem.

Before diluting it, fill the your gas tank with water and pour the entire contents into an empty plastic bucket/pail/ drum. You now have precisely the amount of liquid needed to refill the tank so you can easily remove the exact quantity of water that you will be replacing with acid.

Pour the acid into the water slowly, then stir slowly with LONG-handled plastic or wood.

Sorry if I appear to be overly safety-conscious, but experience has shown you cannot be too careful.
                "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
                Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

rust

Hey Ozric,
                  I am In Chicago and I found The must for rust at Home Depot. It works great. I also kreemed the tank but the kreem began to peel. I will have my tank professionally sealed by www.gas-tank.com after this season.

Comment

I bought a used tank from a recycler. It was not too clean inside. I took it to a radiator shop and they did a wonderful job. Cost me $60cn to have it cleaned and lined. They have the right tools for the job which is essentially the same as cleaning rads.

Colin

Comment

Tank Coating

I paid a local shop $85 to coat my tank. It turned out a deep red color and it seems to me they did a superb job. I have inspected with a flashlight a number of times and I'm pretty sure it couldn't be any better. Also, the mechanic told me no one has ever brought one back and complained. I don't know the name of the product he uses but it's red, forl sure.
                      1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Re: rust

Originally posted by DJones
                        Hey Ozric,
                        I am In Chicago and I found The must for rust at Home Depot. It works great. I also kreemed the tank but the kreem began to peel. I will have my tank professionally sealed by www.gas-tank.com after this season.
                        Hey thanks for the URL. I have been looking for a good reconditioner company for my tank. I want to eventually repaint the bike so this fits right in. Looks like a great service for rusty tanks.
                        GY

Comment

Ok, lots of great information, but I didn't hear anyone mention how these methods affect the paint. My tank is immaculate (except for the inside, of course) and I don't want to mess it up. What is the best way to do it without messing up the paint?
                          Thanks.

Mike: 81GS1100EX, KZdragbike, 84 Honda interceptor

Comment

Originally posted by MCracing
                            Ok, lots of great information, but I didn't hear anyone mention how these methods affect the paint. My tank is immaculate (except for the inside, of course) and I don't want to mess it up. What is the best way to do it without messing up the paint?
                            Thanks.

Mike: 81GS1100EX, KZdragbike, 84 Honda interceptor
                            Mike:

Don't know about the "must for rust", but commonly rust-removing items contain phosphoric acid and so does CLR.

Everything mentioned can cause paint damage.

How much time and caution you use is up to you, but if you are really worried, consult a professional gas tank repair company, and discuss it with them. They will know the quality of their own work.
                            Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Working...
                            X