K591 tire discontinued--what to do now for '83 GS1100ES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

K591 tire discontinued--what to do now for '83 GS1100ES

OH NO!!!!! Trying to get some more of my beloved K591s and they've been succeeded by the GT501 and those aren't available in the rear size of 120/90-17 or 130/80-17. Their minimum 17 inch rear tire is a 140 for a 3.50 inch rim and Suzi has a 2.50 inch rim.
    Any suggestions of what other people are doing?
    Railed on the K591s and traded the fact I could embarrass bikes 20 years younger at track days with mileage of less than 3000 per pair. Don't want touring tires! :roll:

Oh no is right. I have used Dunlop's on my GS1100ESD from the beginning. Seems tires in general are getting difficult to find for this bike.

Comment

Same thing happened here

Same thing happened here and I ended up going to Metzler's. They are a pretty good tire. yes, tires are getting harder to find and they certainly aren't getting any cheaper either.

--- Frank ---

Comment

Actually, Bridgestone makes a Battlax (spelled something like that), model BT45r in your size. It's rated, I believe, @ 142 m.p.h. It is a very sticky tire; doesn't wear exceptionally well. I ride very hard, and on my GS750ES, I went to the 'wear spots' in 3,000 miles. You may want other people's opinion on how long they last, but it's holds to the road excellent.
        -Sean

Comment

Tires

I'll have to agree on the Bridgestones.They're not long lived(I've managed roughly 4500 miles-not excessively hard use...),but stick like a cat on a carpet and work exceptionally in the wet.I'll take the mileage penalty!
          -Gitch

Comment

Don't give up yet!!

I'd suggest you keep looking for the K591's. I ordered a new rear tire several days ago and am fairly certain I saw several places on the internet that were advertising K591's....they may not have been in your size as my GS750 runs 16's. Try Motorcycle Accessory Warehouse, Discount Motorcycle Tires and Ron Ayers Motorsports....I bet you'll find them. Good luck!
            1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

I am currently using the Battlax on my 1100 ESD. I don't know if I would run them at a track. I crammed a 140/70-17 under the rear. The tire wraps around the rim nice. Gives a lot of tread on the side. Of course the ESD can't get down very far without dragging.

Comment

Battalax front is sticky, a bit vague but weras our quickly. ME33 metzler is as good stick wise and steers very nicely. I am going to try a Metzler ME55 on the back next. The Bridgestone s11 is lasting, but lacks grip and slips a bit when cold...good touring tyre tho!

Comment

I run Metzeler ME33 front/ME55rear on my 1150 and I love them they are what I changed to after using K591's, my brother had metzeler on his bike so I tried them and have used them ever since.
                  Dink

Comment

I started off with Pirellis front and back. Can't remember the models, but the rear lasted for about 5K and the front for 20K.

Comment

Check out the michelin Macadam.....It is a Great tire.........I have the V-rated an I really like it

Comment

Try the Pirelli Match (MT 08/09) if they're available in your size. I love mine, but I likely have different sizes than you. Great in the wet, great steering, last 3-5,000 miles

Comment

Went with BT45s and 530 chain conversion

Ended up going with the BT45s. Tire wear is an issue insofar as I was looking for more grip and less milage was assumed.
                          Ended up keeping the tubes also because the lip on the rim isn't quite to the spec of tubeless rims (even though it says Tubeless applicable on the rim).
                          Also am going with a 530 conversion. They gave me the sprockets and they are all a LOT smaller than the originals--hope they did the math right. The chain they gave me was 7" too short, so I don't have a lot of confidence.

Comment

Working...
                          X