Charging problem -Please help! YES I read the STATOR PAPERS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charging problem -Please help! YES I read the STATOR PAPERS

I really could use your help. I've been through the Stator Papers. I have a charging problem; my bike doesn't charge. The RR has no affect on the charging system -if I disconnect it, there is no impact to the voltage at the leads off the battery, or anywhere else. After running it with the RR connected for 5 minutes, it's so hot, water would sizzle on it. I use a nice multimeter. When I do the first and second diode tests on the RR, it doesn't register a "voltage" like the stator papers say; there is no response. I understand diode's reponsibibility, but I wanted to make sure I was doing the test correctly. After reading up extensively on these bike's charging system, I understand the importance of good conductivity. I will clean all connections. One last thing, I tested the connection from the red wire on the 5-wire harness that plugs into the RR to the positive batter post, and it shows the same resistance (practically none) as when I short the red and black mulitimeter leads. Shouldn't I conclude that there is a good connection through that circuit? I just wanted to make sure...Thank-you so much for your help

-Sean

Have you disconnected the three lead wires from the AC generator terminal and measured the AC voltage?

It should be min 80V AC at 5000 rpm.

If you dont get the correct voltage the problem is related to the stator or its connections.

Otherwise the most common problem is the RR unit.

Karl Zellner

Comment

Yes, the stator is fine. It's voltage output and resistance tests are satisfactory. Does it make sense to add a lead directly from the positive terminal on the battery to the RR?

-Sean

Comment

make sure you have a good ground for the rectifier, or just check all your grounds.

Comment

I Just had my stator replaced with an Electrx one. I was having charging problems. I got a good 80+ ac volt reading on all three wires when the engine was cold. When the engine was hot though nothing. Now the stator is working I am getting a very high reading at my , (Ok its a cheap one from an auto parts store and likely ot too reliable), volt meter mounted on my fairing It reads 17 volts plus. I tried a second RR on the bike and still got the same reading. Everything is working and no fuses have blown.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Suzuki electrics.

Comment

tinkerbel, From what i hear 17+ volts is too high. You might want some other opinions from the good people on this board.

Comment

Sounds like the regulator part of RR is not functioning properly... most car regulators are set around 14.5 volts, my guess is it is close to that for bikes too

Comment

8O 8O 17 volts is way too hihgh,, it will boil your battery dry,, burn out lights and could damage any electrical parts on the bike (turn signal box, ignition, any solid state electronics) You should never have more than 15 volts on a battery,, and that is the HIGHEST you would ever want to go,, even at that voltage your starting to boil your battery.. Check your guage to make sure it's accurate and get your regulator fixed,, Your playing with fire!

Comment

Working...
                X