Exhaust flame kits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust flame kits

I'm (quite)interested in setting up a flame thower kit on my bike :twisted: but I don't want to pay an arm and a leg to do it!

"Dragon Exhaust"

has a great kit for bikes and it's even got the dual-pipe option, but it's $164 U.S.. 8O I was actually looking for something more in my budget, like FREE!
    I'm using 4 into 2 megaphone pipes.
    All I want is to run some power through a toggle switch and through two wires to a spark plug in each pipe.

Anyone want to offer their sagelly advice on the matter?
    As always, thanks a bunch!

(I'd noticed a post about this from a Scotish fellow just before move and now I can't find it)

try setting up a 9v (not 12, that's only for starting, they run at 9v, full time 12v means short life for most coils) circuit to a spare coil, have the supply circuit switched for control, and have it firing your tail plugs. that's pretty much the whole thing. that's how we've set it up on showtrucks. you'll have to do some experimenting/trial and error/praying to get the right placement for good ignition. i'll see if i can get some advice from the fellow who set up the flamers on the trucks to see how far he set them up.

Comment

I'm gonna need a fairly detailled explanation of the wiring end of it. I haven't spend any time doing anything to bikes but the non-invasive mechanical work. I appreciate the time that anyone takes to walk me through this.

Comment

Curt:
        This forum is a pretty friendly place, and often people take liberties with their comments, so here comes one:

Have you seriously thought about this?

At last check you are still new to riding bikes, and that implies you are prone to making errors at a higher rate than a more experienced rider.

Errors tend to catch the attention of police, who are almost always more inclined to go after bikers than cars, anyway, and even here in the east we know Calgary has a reputation for doing that.

You said elsewhere that you want to go fast (don't we all?), but going fast and showing flames at your tail, especially at night, which you know will be a non-refusable attraction, is going to grab the attention of everybody, so when it does that, what action might you reasonably expect from the local constabulary?

By the way, is the public transportation system in your area better than Suzi?
        "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
        Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Calgary cops are spiteful people! Yes they do have a reputation of preying on bikers. Calgary City Transit seems to have it in for me too 8O :x and until the busses convert to a -LONG- two wheel system, nothing's going to even come close to Suzi.

I do have the need for speed but I 've managed to restrain myself to speeding on rural highways only. Experiance dictated that the police don't know they exist, as I use them almost daily, and have never seen a cruiser.

I don't intend to have the flames constant, but rather on a toggle switch so they can be activated for a few seconds while at a crowded light(or crowd of women 8) )

On the subject of the Calgary Police, they(the provincial goverment) has passed legislation for a new pay-scale for traffic fines.
          I'm not sure of all the increases but the one that blew me away is this beauty -

-For every kilometer over the posted speed limit, a fine of $50 will be levied-

Doing 60 in a 50 zone gets you a $500 ticket 8O 8O :x

For those of us south of Canuckville, thats about the same rate(U.S. dollars/miles), taking into account both the imperial/metric conversion and the U.S./Canadian dollar exchange rate.

Sick huh?

Comment

Hmmmmm....maybe the fine won't be too bad, if they just get you for flashing!
            "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
            Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

That much fuel???

I looked at the website, and can't help but wonder WHY you'd have that much fuel going out your tailpipe. If your bike was properly tuned your engine shouldn't be dumping all that fuel out? I thought the purpose was to burn as much fuel in the combustion chamber as possible not dump half of it out the tailpipe...

I figured they had to inject propane or something into the exhaust to get the flames I've seen. But reading info on that kit, it just works off exhaust gas? If that were true, shouldn't you be spending that money on getting the engine air and fuel mixture correct?

Another point, the pictures are all Harleys, which typically don't have much for expansion chambers in the exhaust. If this kit is firing off inside your muffler, wouldn't it eventually just blow the back end of it off?

Granted, most Harleys are tuned more for sound then proper fuel burning, so I can see why they would shoot out so much flame. What can be expected from a well maintained motorcycle that burns most of its fuel in the chamber? six inches? (Addendum: I looked at the movies while typing this and saw that the examples of people with kits had only six to twelve inch flames, more what I'd expect...don't expect those huge gouts of flame they show, Id wager they aren't typical)

All that naysaying done, I must say that it is cool, and I've concidered it myself. I'd want to set up a test kit before I went drilling into anything to set it up perm.

As far as the police are concerned, tell them it's been backfiring like that for a few weeks now and you just haven't been able to figure out WHY it's doing it..."Maybe a stuck lifter? officer? What do you think...."

Let us know how it goes by all means. If it works I might do it myself. I'm just loathe to go drilling a hole into an expensive exhaust system!

Josh

Comment

flame on

first youl need to get and ingniter off of an old lawn mower that sparks numerios time. attatch it to your battery any drill the holes for your spark plug and run your spark plug cabeles to your ingniter start your bike and rev it real high and let off and turn on your ingiter and you should get a nice flame gust email me and i can send you more detaled planes

Comment

Dragon Exhaust , "Spark in a box"kits , are for recreational use only.
                  Dragon Exhaust is not responsible for property damage or injuries
                  caused by "Spark in a box kits", use at your own risk
                  Think Safety:

Not for resale, if we find this item has been resold with out explicit permission from Dragon Exhaust Inc. legal action will ensue.

Dragon Exhaust , "Spark in a box"kits , are for recreational use only. .

THIS OUTFIT HAS A SERIOUS WARNING AND DISCLAIMER FOR THIS ITEM--PLEASE LEARN TO DO WHEELIES WHILE STANDING ON THE TANK--IT PROBABLY WOULD BE SAFER

Comment

Curt,

are you planning on using stock exhaust for this , or aftermarket. The metal that the stock exhaust is made from is extremely thin. Also, the only vehicles i have seen this conversion on have been "straight" pipe or at least after any kind of muffler or baffle. But if you are still considering this I saw a flamethrower kit in an ad for www.autoloc.com starting form 99 bucks.

Also found another amusing kit for those of us with a slightly twisted outlook on life. check out www.viberider.com

Comment

WHY

Comment

Working...
                      X