Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MAJOR problem with throttle

Umm, first, when i say major, i mean it sent me on a trip
    through the woods instead of down my driveway.
    Hopefully it's a minor fix.

for some reason, when i turn the handlebars to the extreem left or right, the throttle goes from idle of about 1k -1200 surging up to between 4500-5k. now, on a compound hill using 1st gear as an engine brake, this was NOT fun for a rider with less than 20 miles on my butt. i've done my best to secure the throttle cable at as many points as i can manage, but it's still reving up.

Any suggestions how to fix this problem? until i'm sure it's fixed i'm without my pair of fun wheels. it's not fun off-road.

Sounds like you don't have the cables run correctly. On my bike, they run just under the gas tank along the frame of the bike then down. Check the routing by turning the wheel full right then full left. There should be no change in the RPM's. When you get them routed correctly, I think your problem should go away and you can stay out of the woods.

Comment

they're like they were when i got the bike, and the rpm does change drasticly, it runs just under the tank along the centre of the frame, and then up and around and through and eventually to the grip. if anyone has a better more ..... technical explanation of how they should be routed, i'll sure give it a shot at rerouting the whole shabang.

Byron.

Comment

Re: MAJOR problem with throttle

Well, first off.....If the throttle ever sticks open again, there is a kill switch on the right handlebar within reach of your thumb. Flip the switch to off....you wont be taking anymore accidental cross country hikes. :-)

On the throttle cable: The cable housing is secured at the carb end by a threaded barrel and two jamb nuts on the cable mount flange of the carb. At the handlebar end, it also is secured by a threaded barrel and round "finger nut". There is no need for wire ties between those points. Do not use any wire ties or anything else that will restrict movement of the cable housing.
        The cable normally is routed up from the carb bracket, makes a bend to run centerline under the fuel tank and then turns up at the steering head usually coming to the throttle grip from between the fork tubes and the back of the headlight shell. In any event, you want the cable routed so it does not bind when the handlebars are turned lock to lock.

Earl

Originally posted by odiekokee
        Umm, first, when i say major, i mean it sent me on a trip
        through the woods instead of down my driveway.
        Hopefully it's a minor fix.

for some reason, when i turn the handlebars to the extreem left or right, the throttle goes from idle of about 1k -1200 surging up to between 4500-5k. now, on a compound hill using 1st gear as an engine brake, this was NOT fun for a rider with less than 20 miles on my butt. i've done my best to secure the throttle cable at as many points as i can manage, but it's still reving up.

Any suggestions how to fix this problem? until i'm sure it's fixed i'm without my pair of fun wheels. it's not fun off-road.
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Heres a thought.

If its routed right you wont have any problems as everyone else has said. BUT If it routed wrong then maybe that cable was replaced and replaced with the wrong one. There is no reason to re route the cable unless replacing it.

Comment

I would check the choke cable too. Make sure that you have some play in both the throtle and choke cable

Comment

Problem solved! *does a rediculous looking rain dance type of thing*
              Brother in law came over, noticed a couple of things. major thing we did was lower the handle bars back to a MUCH more comfortable and nice looking angle *yeah, i'm clueless* and the problem has dissipated. i'm keeping a close eye on it, but after a couple hours of fooling around, there were still no variances in the rpm from turning. soo.
              ohh yeah, a bunch of WD-40 (for lack of having some liquid wrench or some actual lubricant containing material) also helped the cable to free up. i think that had a good bit to do with it as well.

So. for the time being, as long as no other ugly bug monsters show up and send me off road and hunting the kill switch, Thanks a ton y'all for all the help and advice. i'm sure there will be other questions.

Byron

Comment

Working...
              X