Brake pad squeal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake pad squeal

Well all, I put new pads on the front and rear about two weeks ago, cleaned off the rotors, installed the pads, bled both brakes and everything is fine as far as the brakes working correctly. Now, I have a developed a squeal on the rear brake when I lightly step on the brake pedal. If I step on it a little heavier, no squeal. rear brake works fine, but the noise is driving me nuts. I've tried applying it hard thinking I might wear off what is causing the squeal, but no luck. I'm thinking of taking some 100 grit sandpaper and blocking down the pucks a little, or some rubbing compound and a buffer and cleaning up the rotor. Anyone have any better ideas?

Earl
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

try some of that brake pad spray on the outside of the pads......it works on car brakes very well should be fine on a bike.

Comment

Thanks, had not thought of that. I'll give her a shot. (pun not intended :-) )

Earl

Originally posted by rick romero
      try some of that brake pad spray on the outside of the pads......it works on car brakes very well should be fine on a bike.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Brake squeel comes from vibration between the pad and rotor. Usually what I do is polish the surfaces on the back of the pad (the metal part) and the areas on the calipers that come into contact with the pad. Then apply a small amount of white lithium grease, graphite powder, etc. to those surfaces. It almost always does away with that annoying squeel.

Tim

Comment

That'll be easy enough to do. :-) thanks

Earl

[quote="tbarnby"]Brake squeel comes from vibration between the pad and rotor. Usually what I do is polish the surfaces on the back of the pad

Comment

Thanks for popping that question Earl. I'm having the same noise but not for long! Thanks for the info guys.

Comment

Here is another little trck for you then.
              Put a light smear of silastic(silicon sealant)on the back of the pads at instalation time and that stops it happening to begin with.This was standard procedure at the dealership I worked at,and we never had a set come back.
              Dink

Comment

Thanks Dink. Got LOTS of silicone in the shop. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by Dink
                Put a light smear of silastic(silicon sealant)on the back of the pads at instalation time and that stops it happening to begin with.This was standard procedure at the dealership I worked at,and we never had a set come back.
                Dink

Comment

There's a product sold under several names that can be applied to the back of the pads before they're installed to keep them from squealing. I used some last year and it worked well. Ask for 'Disc Brake Quiet' at NAPA or any other place that sells car stuff. The one I have is a spray but I've seen it in little squeeze bottles too.

When it dries, it's very sticky and I think it 'glues' the pads to the pistons and that stops the vibration. I'm happy with it.

Comment

earl, so which one of these many solutions solved the problem?

Comment

Dink
                      I have the same problem -- a very, very loud squeal from my rear brakes -- but it is intermittent. Seems really random. The guy I bought the bike from said he had just replaced the pads -- that was 2,300 miles ago. Anyway, I have removed the pads and reseated them twice.

I've got a tube of ULTRA GRAY RTV silicone gasket maker. Would puttling a little of this on the back side of the pads work??

TIA.

Charles...

Comment

I like these little life-savers made by SBS. When I rebuilt the calipers on my Seca, I discovered the brake pad shims were non-existent. So I just put some of that gooey "brake quiet" stuff on the back of the pads thinking that would do it and I still had the nasty squeeky noise! So I picked up some of these, and they work GREAT!!

Dennis Kirk has been the leader in Powersports aftermarket parts and accessories since 1969. Over 160,000 unique items in stock & ready to ship today.

Comment

"Brake Quiet". It works! I used it on my front pads a couple of weeks ago and no more derranged hamsters screaming when I brake. \\/
                          It's a "rubbery goop" that you "paint" onto the back plate of the pad, let it dry, replace the pads and your good to go.

Comment

For what it's worth, I've seen/heard/had problems with any type of silicone (it essentually glues the pad to the caliper). For years I've used something called Sil-Glide (or Glyde), available at NAPA. Basically, a light weight grease. Use sparingly wherever there's metal-to-metal contact(pad to caliper, caliper sliders, etc...) Never had any problems (my vehicles, or paying customers). In fact, I put in new pads tonight, and that was the first thing I grabbed.

Comment

Working...
                            X