I broke something.... I think....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I broke something.... I think....

HELP! I did a 5K launch, promtly whacked the throttle open, shifted at 9K and screamed on down the road... when I finished, I felt a "boing" in the clutch lever and the clutch didn't fully engage, so I stopped, adjusted the clutch in and it worked fine... but I know that it shouldn't do that... also, the shifter lever after this doesn't return up after a downshift... well... it does, but it takes 2-3 blocks. no funny noises, no funny idle, nothing... also, I've been having a problem with gas in the crankcase... I know it's needles and petcock, but I've been stalling by removing the gas line... however, I think my crankcase may be grossly overfilled, that or here's another symptom: when running, I see oil... in the oil sight window.... I'm sure I'm not supposed to, but there it is, a bubbling away.... please tell me I didn't kill Suzi... and that I can fix it.

Concentrate on the fuel system. Fix those floats. Gas in the oil can produce a lot of weird symptoms, including transmission and clutch problems. You can't just continue to ride with gas in the oil. Fix her, change the oil and see what happens.

Tim

Comment

Gas in oil

If your getting gas into the oil it can be more than the petcock. It can also be stuck floats when I beleive was mentioned earlier. But stuck floats usually mean junk in the gas tank which also helps to trash the petcock. I am going thru the same problems right now.

Comment

Maybe you could get a new pingel petcock..i did and it fixed the problem temporarily...Then I got gas in the crankcase It turned out to be a stuck float...fixed that and now it is working Great

Comment

I know about the floats and petcock, what I need to know is what I did when I let the clutch fly and whacked her open that causes the shifter to not return to the proper position when downshifting

Comment

On the gearshift side of the transmission, you will need to remove the clutch cover. underneath that at the shiftshaft, there is a racheting device called a gear shifting pawl lifter. You might want to check it to make sure it is not broken or bent. If it is, you will not be able to shift normally.

Earl

Originally posted by ScarletSpyder00
            I know about the floats and petcock, what I need to know is what I did when I let the clutch fly and whacked her open that causes the shifter to not return to the proper position when downshifting
            All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

[quote="earlfor"]On the gearshift side of the transmission,

It's actually the rear brake (right) side. Pull the clutch cover, shifter pall ratchet is in back,lower left area, looks kind of like fingers, could be jammed,(clutch spring debris from the 'boing'?) could be a bent shifter fork in the trani itself(gotta split the case)

Comment

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

[quote="earlfor"]Ahhh Dave.....I beg to differ....the gearshshift is always on the left side of the bike. (at least for Suzuki) :-) I dont know what bike you are referring to, but for a GS750, the racheting pawl will be found in the same area as the countershaft sprocket.

Earl
                  Earl,
                  I beg to differ, or you're misunderstanding me, the palls are located inside the clutch cover on the right(r. brake) side of the bike, every bike I've ever ridden has had the shifter on the left, you cannot access the palls from the left, only the clip which retains the shifter shaft can be accessed from under the sprocket cover, you must still pull the clutch cover to even see the the palls.

Comment

Ok Dave, I gotcha now. I thought you were trying to tell me the shift was on the right side. LOL MAN, its getting late...gonna get some sleep.. :-) :-)

Earl

Comment

Okey-Dokey, you got a few hours on me

Comment

A couple of other things to check under the clutch cover. Broken spring on shifting pawl or slightly bent shifting rod. Maybe as simple as a bad oil seal on the rod on the sprocket side of the engine. A note about running your crankcase too full of fluid...This can cause hydrolic locking of your engine possibly causing bending and breaking of serious parts such as connecting rods, pistons, etc.

Comment

okay, thanks for the help... I've grounded suzi until sunday for misbehaviour... and that's when I had an engine rebuild and clutch scheduled anyways. I figure it probably has something to do with the shifting rod, afterall, suzi is RUNNING fine, but just doesn't wanna downshift... looks like I'll also be rebuilding the carbs (to take care of that darn needle problem) and hopefully I won't be buying an engine. But if I do, I'm going for a 1000. I know the rear mount needs to be modified, anyone have anypics of this modification so I know what I'm gonna need to fabricate?

Comment

I'm an idiot

I'M AN IDIOT! TATTOO IT ON MY FOREHEAD AND SCREAM IT FROM THE MOUNTAIN TOPS! That whole time, worrying and bothering all of you, the 5K launches and 9K shifts had been rattling screws out of the sprocket cover, and the boing was one of them letting go. A tech friend of mine, when consulted on the issue, looked at it and said "Well, the cover moves way too much" and sure enough, there was only 2 screws left holding the cover in place... I had even adjusted the clutch more than once, and never bothered to notice the missing screws... yes, I am a bright one

Comment

Working...
                            X