cylinder head cover cracked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cylinder head cover cracked

I have a 1981 gs1000g. i have a crack in my cylinder head cover on the right hand side. do i have to get another one or can i just seal the crack with a sealant?

I would try and see if I could get someone who could clamp it to a flat surface and heli arc ? weld it. low bucks way maybe some JB weld epoxie

Comment

Re: cylinder head cover cracked

J B Weld should work fine for sealing a crack in a valve cover.
      Just make sure you clean any oil off the surfaces you wish to
      put the J B on. If it is a hairline crack, you will need to take a
      dremel tool or file and make the crack large enough to get the weld pushed in and filling the crack. It might work OK just by piling it on top over the crack, but it will be much stronger if it is actually
      glueing the two edges back together. Clean the oil off with acetone or alcohol. Also, the valve covers are normally painted and clear coated. The paint will need to be removed in the repair area.

Earl

Originally posted by terrancemoore
      I have a 1981 gs1000g. i have a crack in my cylinder head cover on the right hand side. do i have to get another one or can i just seal the crack with a sealant?
      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

I usually swear by JB Weld, but this time I would have to recomend against it. I cracked my valve cover and went with the JB Weld fix to no avail. I suppose there could have been a trick that I didn't try to get a good fix, but the bottom line is: it still leaked oil. I got really lucky and found someone willing to part with the cover (Thanks Nick!!!!!!!!!).

Comment

You're welcome

You're quite welcome, Robert. It was a pleasure doing business with you. Glad I could help you out with the valve cover. I wish this fellow luck in finding one.

eBay often has lots of parts for sale at great prices, which are determined, of course, by supply and demand. Search for "Suzuki GS" for a listing of parts, one of which may well be the valve cover this fellow needs.

Nick

Comment

I know where You can probably get a cam cover (posibly even three), it's a bone yard near here and they have a couple of 1000g's sitting out back in the open collecting dust and spiders.

Comment

Working...
            X