What Now.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Now.

OK What did I do now. Yesterday I did my normal drain the fuel bowl (due to rust in tank) asnd cleaned and re gapped the plugs. I do this about once every two weeks. Not cause it needs it but just because. Anyway I rode to work last night and everything seemed fine. I rode home this morning and made a stop about a mile from the house. The bike was shut off for about 30 minutes. Stated back up and went on home. About 200 meters from the house turning a corner it just died. Sounded fuel starved but everything was on. Tank petcock on prime, inline petcock was on, fuel filter is brand new, air box sealed up right, cant firgure it out. I pulled the choke and it ran fine while choked and got it home. I didn't get a chance to look at it today and didn't even try to start it. Didn't get a lot of sleep so I left her alone and took the car to work. Any suggestions.

Never leave your petcock in prime, it can flood the carbs and stall the bike. That may have happened. Take it out of prime and idle the bike choked for 5 minutes and go for a local ride first.
    Stimpy

Comment

Jay,

This sounds similar to what happened to me. I took the gas tank off to paint it and when I put it back on, the gas would not flow into the carbs. I took the drain plugs off the bottom of the carbs and they were empty. I checked the petcock by gently sucking on the vacuum line to make it open in the normal position. It had flow, so I checked the vacuum from the carb by putting my finger over it when the bike was running. It didn't seem to have much vacuum. I blew into the carb and then put it back together. The bike runs fine now. I don't really know what fixed it though. I just rebuilt the carbs, so I'm thinking that when I put the gas tank back on, I got some crud into the carb. I have a fuel filter - but?

Hope this helps. Be careful, especially if you suck on the vacuum line to the petcock in case there is a problem with it and the vacuum side has gas in it. I'm not fond of the taste of gasoline.

Comment

What Now

OK Someone said not to leave the petcock in prime. Doesnt matter cause I have an inline petcock as well cause I dont trust the one on the tank I just rebuilt it and it's still not working. The vaccum line is not hooked up either. In fact it's plugged. The why the tank petcock is in the prime position. Tomorrow Im going to tear them apart again. Maybe the fuel filter Im using is letting to much junk thru. Shouldn't be cause its a paper one.

Comment

Re: What Now

Jay, I have a pingel fuel valve on my GS and its either on or off.
          Its not vacum operated and in essence is the same as your fuel valve being on prime and you turning the fuel off with your inline
          valve. My vacum hose is capped off also. I see nothing wrong with your set up and using the prime position for normal running.
          As with the pingel, you just have to remember to turn the fuel off whenever you shut the engine down.

I dont think you have a float, carb, electrical or vacum problem.
          I believe it is a fuel flow problem. Since you rebuilt the stock fuel selector valve and the screen on it is fairly large, I think it unlikely that screen would become blocked since you say you flush the tank frequently. It would take quite a lot of large chunks of rust to
          block the selector valve screen. Some years ago, I had a problem such as this and it turned out to be rust silt. The stuff was so fine that it formed a thin sludge muck coating over the fuel filter element which stopped gas flow. Once the engine stopped, if I let it sit for an hour or so, the silt would soak back off the filter element and things would be normal again. My best guess is that the small inline paper element has very limited area plus very fine
          filtering and is filtering to the point of blocking itself. If this is the case, when it clogs, if you can take it off, turn it around 180 deg, turn the fuel back on and let fuel run in the opposite direction onto
          the ground, it should flush it. Then you could put it back inline in the correct orientation and continue on your way.

Earl

Originally posted by Jay B
          OK Someone said not to leave the petcock in prime. Doesnt matter cause I have an inline petcock as well cause I dont trust the one on the tank I just rebuilt it and it's still not working. The vaccum line is not hooked up either. In fact it's plugged. The why the tank petcock is in the prime position. Tomorrow Im goi
          ng to tear them apart again. Maybe the fuel filter Im using is letting to much junk thru. Shouldn't be cause its a paper one.
          All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Re: What Now

Originally posted by earlfor
            Jay, I have a pingel fuel valve on my GS and its either on or off.
            Its not vacum operated and in essence is the same as your fuel valve being on prime and you turning the fuel off with your inline
            valve. My vacum hose is capped off also. I see nothing wrong with your set up and using the prime position for normal running.
            As with the pingel, you just have to remember to turn the fuel off whenever you shut the engine down.

I dont think you have a float, carb, electrical or vacum problem.
            I believe it is a fuel flow problem. Since you rebuilt the stock fuel selector valve and the screen on it is fairly large, I think it unlikely that screen would become blocked since you say you flush the tank frequently. It would take quite a lot of large chunks of rust to
            block the selector valve screen. Some years ago, I had a problem such as this and it turned out to be rust silt. The stuff was so fine that it formed a thin sludge muck coating over the fuel filter element which stopped gas flow. Once the engine stopped, if I let it sit for an hour or so, the silt would soak back off the filter element and things would be normal again. My best guess is that the small inline paper element has very limited area plus very fine
            filtering and is filtering to the point of blocking itself. If this is the case, when it clogs, if you can take it off, turn it around 180 deg, turn the fuel back on and let fuel run in the opposite direction onto
            the ground, it should flush it. Then you could put it back inline in the correct orientation and continue on your way.

Earl

Originally posted by Jay B
            OK Someone said not to leave the petcock in prime. Doesnt matter cause I have an inline petcock as well cause I dont trust the one on the tank I just rebuilt it and it's still not working. The vaccum line is not hooked up either. In fact it's plugged. The why the tank petcock is in the pri
            me position. Tomorrow Im going to tear them apart again. Maybe the fuel filter Im using is letting to much junk thru. Shouldn't be cause its a paper one.

I agree with Earl...Ii would replace the fuel Petcock.....with a Pingel for sure

Comment

Fuel Filter

Well I was always taught to try the easyest/cheapest things first when trying to fix something so I'm going to flush the filter. It is a paper one and it's the largest one I could get under there and still have the tank fit right and have proper fuel flow. I'll let you know.

Comment

Got it.

Well after much tinkering I figured it out. It was the in-line petcock that was not working properly. Replaced it and all seems well now.

While I was at it I flushed out the tank. There was enough rust silt in there to cause the Mississippi to change directions. I dont see how it wasn't clogging up the bike. Rerouted the fuel lines and installed a different (read BIGGER) filter and sofar so good.

Comment

Working...
                X