Valve adjustment for GS450??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve adjustment for GS450??

Hello to all, this is my first post in the forum. I recently purchased a 1988 GS 450L. I was told it was sitting for 3 years. So I cleaned the carbs, plugs, oil & filter, replaced the petock valve? (fule selector valve) because the vacuum side was allowing fuel to the right carb causing black smoke on that side, new battery. After this work it runs tremendously better but I think it should have more power. When driving, it tops out around 55, 60 mph around 6000 rpm. It sometimes will go more but takes awhile to get there. When driving, sometimes I can here a hissing pop (best way I no how to describe it) it is not loud but I can feel it cause a little miss in the engine. This might be because the baffles were removed. I am waiting for payday to have new mufflers installed. Now to my question. Should I check/adjust the valve clearances for intake and exhaust? I would imagine if these were loose they could cause poor performance. Thanks and I am glad to be riding again after 7 years.

Valves

I would. Improper timing of the valves opening and closing due to loose tolerences will cause a lack of performance.

Comment

Valves...

Thanks, I should probably order a tech book/manual or see if a dealer can find the proper clearance ranges for me than.

Comment

Yes you should get a manual as soon as you can,in the meantime your dealer can give you the specs. so you can go ahead and adjust your valves.
        Dink

Comment

Specs

Hopefully someone in here can give them to you till you can get your manual.

Comment

Working...
          X