I've got a tachometer from an 1985 GS750 that I'd like to test off of
    the bike. I imagine that the Black/Yellow lead will either recieve
    pulses or a variable voltage from the ignitor unit but I don't know
    which.

Does anybody know what the setup would be to bench test this
    device? I imagine that I would feed the Orange lead from the +ive
    post of the battery and the Black/White lead from the -ive post of
    the battery. Can I feed a variable voltage to the Orange lead to
    simulate what would be coming from the ignitor?

What values map to what voltages (e.g. 5V = 3000RPM)?

Thanks,
    John

I finally found the time to read the schematic yesterday and found the answer to one of my questions.

The tachometer has three leads:
    1) +ive feed from battery
    2) -ve feed from battery
    3) one lead from the ignition unit that feeds the right hand coil

The meter's sweep is controlled by the same pulse train that goes to the #2 ignition coil.

Although I couldn't figure out an easy way to recreate the pulse train on the bench< I did test the tach by plugging it into my bike's dash. It took a lot more time and effort but now it's done.

I'm posting my results just in case anybody else was curious about this.

Comment

you most likely could have used a 10:1 transformer and plugged it into the wall to get your pulse.

Comment

That sounds interesting but I don't understand how a transformer is going to provide me with a pulse? As far as I understand transformers, they output a steady-state voltage at a different level than their input. I'd really appreciate it if you would send along more detail about your idea.

Regards,
        John

Comment

Originally posted by john_m_montreal
          That sounds interesting but I don't understand how a transformer is going to provide me with a pulse? As far as I understand transformers, they output a steady-state voltage at a different level than their input. I'd really appreciate it if you would send along more detail about your idea.

Regards,
          John

I believe that he would be counting on the sinusoidal waveform from the 60 Hz of the wall outlet. You would have to wire it up so that it acted like a step down transformer (i.e. the input voltage would be ten times greater that the output) or you would over voltage the electronics and kill it. Personally, this would be kind of dangerous to both the equipment and the person doing the work if he does not know exactly what he is doing.

I would suggest using a pulse generator. There are normally used on electronic equipment to test digital designs and can be set to operate at 5 V and below, which is where you probably want to run it. You can vary the rate of pulsation to see the tach move through its range. You would have to play with it a little to see if it is dependent on pulse count or if it was dependent on pulse width (how long the pulse is generated) to get the tach reading.

Hap

Comment

What

Maybe I should have paid more attention in electronics class in school.

Comment

Hmmm Hap....verrrrry interesting
              brings to mind a thought....
              since radio control model transmitters and receivers are pulse code modulation and the receiver output leads to operate the servo's are powered by 4.8 volts and have three wires, +,-, signal, it would seem then you could plug a tach into a receiver output lead and by moving the control stick on the transmitter, get a reading on the tach. RC systems operate on pulse count.
              Think this might work?

Earl

[quote="Hap Call
              I would suggest using a pulse generator. There are normally used on electronic equipment to test digital designs and can be set to operate at 5 V and below, which is where you probably want to run it. You can vary the rate of pulsation to see the tach move through its range. You would have to play with it a little to see if it is dependent on pulse count or if it was dependent on pulse width (how long the pulse is generated) to get the tach reading.

Hap[/quote]
              All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

[quote=earlfor]Hmmm Hap....verrrrry interesting
                since radio control model transmitters and receivers are pulse code modulation and the receiver output leads to operate the servo's are powered by 4.8 volts and have three wires, +,-, signal, it would seem then you could plug a tach into a receiver output lead and by moving the control stick on the transmitter, get a reading on the tach. RC systems operate on pulse count.
                Think this might work?

Earl

That may just work...the big if here is at what voltage the tach actually operates...I was guessing the voltage was in the ballpark of 5 volts because most TTL logic chips (the most common family) operate at this voltage and because the chips are cheap and abundent that would be most likely what Suzuki would use.

Another possiblity is that we are barking up the wrong tree and the tach actually compares the phase angle between two sine waves...this is called a resolver and is used in a lot of industrial applications. I would be surprised if this was the case but I have seen some strange stuff come out of Japan!

Hap

Comment

Thanks, Hap, I will have to keep this in mind for something to try if I run into any tach problems.

Earl

[quote="Hap Call"
                  That may just work...the big if here is at what voltage the tach actually operates...I was guessing the voltage was in the ballpark of 5 volts because most TTL logic chips (the most common family) operate at this voltage and because the chips are cheap and abundent that would be most likely what Suzuki would use.

Another possiblity is that

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

I am an electronics technician. When I was in school I designed and built a digital tach. My teacher suggested using a transformewr to test it at home because I couldn't take the sig gen home with me. that is why I suggested it.

What year is your bike? My tach is mechanical.

Comment

[quote="earlfor"]Hmmm Hap....verrrrry interesting
                      Think this might work?

Earl

Hmm! good idea! Are you an RC modeler as well Earl? Small world
                      GY

Comment

Originally posted by djturnz
                        I am an electronics technician. What year is your bike?
                        It's valuable to know someone with electronics skills - I hope that you keep posting information for us. My bikes are '85.

Comment

Originally posted by djturnz
                          I am an electronics technician. When I was in school I designed and built a digital tach. My teacher suggested using a transformewr to test it at home because I couldn't take the sig gen home with me. that is why I suggested it.
                          I understand what you wanted to do but I am concerned about a novice wiring up a transformer to a piece of equipment. Yes it is only 110V, but it only takes 1 ampere to kill someone. You have some knowledge of electricity so it would be understandable if you did use the sine wave from your wall outlet.

I am supposed to talk with some lawyers about a case where a young man was killed where I work due to electrocution. I do have a little bit of knowledge about electrical stuff.

Hap

Comment

Hey Gerry:

Sure nuff. RC airplanes and helicopters, though mostly heli's these past few years.

Earl

[quote="Gerryy"

Hmm! good idea! Are you an RC modeler as well Earl? Small world
                            GY[/quote]

Comment

Master of it all.

Damn them choppers are hard to fly.

Comment

Working...
                              X