Keihin CR Carbs??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keihin CR Carbs??

Hi, I was under the impression that KEIHIN CR CARBS were similar to Mikuni RS Flatslides (with accelerator pump). Now I've heard they are not. Would the 35 mm CR's be a good choice for my 1100E? Are jets redily available for them? I had been waiting for a set of Mkuni RS's. Thanks Very Much, Dave

Parts are generally readily available for aftermarket carbs. Trying to buy non standard parts is a nightmare for standard carbs.

Comment

Hey, Sundog,

I have an '81 GS750, and have gone from Mikuni CV (34mm) to Keihin CR smoothbores (check out Sudco.com...its where I bought mine. They have Mikuni smoothbores. Just follow the mikuni carb links from the homepage) I even screwed up and bought the wrong size; was too impatient to ship them back and get the right size. Misread the manual. Pre 81's had 26mm CV's, and said a good upgrade would be 29mm. So I kept 29mm smootbores. When I found out my mistake, I had a machinist buddy of mine machine a set of sleeves onto the carbs so that the plenum boots would fit right. (Even with the carbs being 5mm SMALLER than the stock CV carbs, it is a totally different machine. It is like a night and day different. The bike pulls hard all the way through the rev range, especially starting about 5500/6000rpm's. MThe smoothbores elimininated the the airbox(uses K&N pod filters) and also had to convert to a dual throttle cable system( 1 cable pulls the throttle open the other pushes it closed--not hard to install. ) Call Sudco and talk to them, see what they recommend. I called them and their tech guys were all pretty cool. One of the salesmen (with a british/scottish/irish accent) did get a little argumentative, but not that bad. Hope this helps you decide!!

Mike
      Charleston SC

Comment

Sundog, I goofed. I got Keihins from Sudco (went through a dealer, though). They sell both keihins and mikuni smoothbores. They sell carb manuals too. Good luck!!

Comment

Working...
        X