Bike won't start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike won't start

I but in a new battery today. The turn signals, brake light , oil light ect. work but thats it. What should I check first?

Thanks
    Ozric

the "kill" switch hasn't been bumped has it?

Comment

If the starter solenoid doesn't activate when you try and start it, you may want to check the clutch switch also.

Comment

Re: Bike won't start

The first thing I would check would be the fuses.

Earl

Originally posted by ozric750
        I but in a new battery today. The turn signals, brake light , oil light ect. work but thats it. What should I check first?

Thanks
        Ozric
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

By all means, check everything above, but since it appears all you did was replace the battery, the most likely problem is with a battery connection. You need to check the battery post connections first, then the other ends of the cables, at the frame/fuse box etc. You may have pulled a wire loose somewhere along the way.

You obviously have some battery power in the circuits, since the smaller lights are OK, but nothing else works.

The first thing I would look for is a poor ground/earth. Poor grounding would allow enough power for the smaller lights, but would not permit the heavy draw required to start the bike.
          "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
          Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

When you put in the new battery, did you charge it first? Just the act of adding the acid will give it enough charge to light the lights, but most likely won't be able to crank the engine over. When thumbing the starter, do any of the lights dim or anything?
            And, why did you replace the battery in the first place?

Comment

I changed the battery because the bike had been sitting for about two years. Ill probally need to change more than that though. In the instructions, it said the battery will be ready to go once I put the acid in. I will try to put a charge on it when I get the chance. I did not notice the other lights dimming when I tried to start it.

Thanks

Ozric

Comment

Check the wires around the battery. You may have forgotten to connect the big wire to the solenoid. Pull the side cover, find the solenoid and work back up to the battery. I'll bet that's it.

Comment

if the battery checks out for full charge take a screwdriver and short out across the posts on the solenoid. this will crank the engive. My bike sat for awhile and I needed to do this, also pull the wires off the solenoid and clean the connectors might have rust or other things preventing a good connection

Comment

Starter switch, perhaps?

Could be the starter switch, as well. Make sure it's cleaned and making good contact. Start with the solenoid first, though.

Comment

Working...
                    X