Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(My first post) Converting from Vetter to stock...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(My first post) Converting from Vetter to stock...

Hello,

I just got me a 1980 GS850G this week! The bike came with a Windjammer that I would like to remove. I would need all parts and pieces to go back to stock. Is there anything else I'll need besides the obvious (turn signals, mounts, bucket and light)?

Anybody know what other models use the same parts?

Thanks in advance for the help and a great resource!

Hall

Re: (My first post) Converting from Vetter to stock...

Originally posted by hall
    Hello,

I just got me a 1980 GS850G this week! The bike came with a Windjammer that I would like to remove. I would need all parts and pieces to go back to stock. Is there anything else I'll need besides the obvious (turn signals, mounts, bucket and light)?

Anybody know what other models use the same parts?

Thanks in advance for the help and a great resource!

Hall
    What is up Hall...I can't really answere the question but it is good to see another GS out there...I am up your way all the time on my way to the mountains

Comment

Parts

Any of those parts can be taken from any other 80 to 83 850 and I think from any 80 to 83 1100. If you need a buyer for the Vetter let me know.

Comment

Think twice

Think twice before getting rid of the Vetter. I have a Vetter on my GS1100GK, and before that, the factory frame-mounted fairing. Riding with a fairing gives you a dimension of protection against the elements that enhance your riding pleasure. I know it isn't for everyone, but a GS850G makes an excellent touring bike with a Vetter on.

All I'm saying is, think twice before getting rid of the fairing. Two reasons:

1. Riding behind a fairing is pleasurable. I've been riding for 32 years, on both faired and unfaired bikes, so I know the advantages of both. Many people know the advantages of unfaired bikes; fewer have experienced the other.

2. Finding the stock Suzuki parts -- headlight shell, rim, turn signals, etc -- is sometimes a pain. That's because everyone seems to want to do the same thing: replace a perfectly good, functional fairing with stock parts to get the bike "nekked" again. eBay is good for this purpose. Go to eBay, do a search for "Suzuki GS", and you should be able to find what you need -- eventually. You must be patient, as with any auction situation.

Whatever you decide to do, best wishes.

Nick

Comment

Removing Vetter / Back to stock.

I've done the same thing to both my GS850G and the GS1100G.
          Things to consider:
          #1: The Vetter windshield when set up properly makes the bike more stable at speed than the handle bar mounted windshields (clear type).
          #2: Keep the Vetter around for awhile. Salvage yards pay $50.00 TOPS!
          You can generally get much more for the set selling it privately. Shipping is a trial!
          #3: When you get the headlight bucket/shell, be sure you get the CORRECT mounting bolts AND flat,tapered "washers" for the inside of the headlight shell. If you don't, keeping the headlight adjusted is a real pain.
          The wiring harness coils around the headlight globe in the inside of the headlight shell.
          #4: Get the correct turn signal units from Dennis Kirk Catalog. Replace the headlamp with a Halogen bulb.
          It takes a bit of shopping to get the pieces, but you'll like it. I'm not sorry I changed mine back, just sorry I sold two perfectly good Vetter IV fairings so cheap. Good luck and enjoy.
          Bob Young
          GS850G/GS1100G

Comment

thanks!

thanks for the responses! both points (leaving and removing) will help making the decision on the vetter!

Alwyn678,

hope to see ya soon up in the north georgia mountians.. might be on my svs instead of the 850 for a while..

Comment

Both is good

My GS550 came with a Vetter fairing and I liked it for long rides. I removed it after I bought a 82 GS850 for cruising. It came with a windshield that is easily removable. I live in the city and ride with helmet and protective jacket. In the summer it is hotter than heck riding behind the faring. With my jacket and full face helmet with the visor down I feel comfortable that I am protected against road debris and I get cooling effects from the wind. When I go on a trip however, I immediatly put the windshield on since it relieves the stress on your body of a long trip and is far more relaxing and adds the element of safety and is good for bad weather.
              I was successful at getting cheap original parts through an online motorcycle parts refferal service. Just type used motorcycle parts in a search engine and you will get a few of them. You post a request for parts and you receive quotes from salvage yards from around the country. I noticed that my 1978 GS550 and 1982GS850 have the exact same turn signals.
              Good Luck,
              Mike Newman

Comment

Me too

I went through the same process with my l980 GS750L. It had Pacifico fairing on it and it just didn't seem like "me". The guy I bought the bike from was the original owner and saved the turn signals which were like new since they'd been in a paper bag for 21 years. Most any cycle salvage yard will have a bunch of turn signals and many will work just fine. As far as the headlight bucket, if you can't find an original, try to get a better one...just make sure that it fits properly in the brackets and get a bright halogen bulb. Bright lights save lives!! Good luck. Oh, by the way, I sold my fairing in the newspaper to the first guy that called...for $130. :P
                1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Working...
                X