air filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

air filter

I bought separate filters for my carbs. I noticed that on my existing filter box there is a ventilation hose that connects to the top of the filter box which comes from the top of the valve cover. What can i do with this hose once i put the seperate filters on the carbs? should I go back with the filter box or should i use the seperate filters?

Re: air filter

Originally posted by terrancemoore
    I bought separate filters for my carbs. I noticed that on my existing filter box there is a ventilation hose that connects to the top of the filter box which comes from the top of the valve cover. What can i do with this hose once i put the seperate filters on the carbs? should I go back with the filter box or should i use the seperate filters?
    Did you do any other mods to your engine? Exhaust pipe, jet kit etc.? If you are just removing the air cleaner and replacing with individual filters you're setting yourself up for some tuning nightmares. To answer your question though, run a hose from your valve cover back to where your air cleaner was and put a small clamp on filter(K and N or similiar) on the end.

Comment

oil filter

Moto Dan is quite correct about tuning difficulties with aftermarket air filters. As far as the breather tube, I'd go to the auto parts store and get a hose long enough to run it to the underside of the bike. Even though the oily mist is minimal, it doesn't take too long to develop an oily mess. As for the little filter, I think the need for it is debatable. In theory, it's probably a good idea but probably unnecessary. If you use one, be sure to keep it clean.
      1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

I'll restate the afore mentioned, I tried aftermarket filters thinking that if the bike gets more air, it'll runn better. that stock filter box just looks so restrictive!! Listen to these guys, I wish I had, would have saved me a lump or two from banging my head against the wall trying to figure it out. If you change to pod or even just a more free flowing air filter, plan on spending the time and moola on a rejet. That's it for my two cents. Dominick.....

Comment

Like these guys said more air isn't necessarily better.
          After i put a k&n air filter in my bike i started the engine without the air box cover on to see what would happen. It bogged out alot cuz the gas/air ratio was all screwy. After i put the cover back on it ran beautiful.
          Jus850

Comment

Originally posted by Jus850
            Like these guys said more air isn't necessarily better.
            After i put a k&n air filter in my bike i started the engine without the air box cover on to see what would happen. It bogged out alot cuz the gas/air ratio was all screwy. After i put the cover back on it ran beautiful.
            Jus850

I gotta agree withall the guys above.......Unless you are doing some serious mods there is no need to ditch the air box

Comment

I know a guy who runs a tuning shop who has a Z1000, bored to 1325 fitted with Mikuni RFS carbs, cams, ported etc. It makes 130 bhp at the rear wheel with the stock Z1000 airbox(looks like GS750/850/1000G type) fitted.

Comment

Working...
              X