Gas tank painting/rust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas tank painting/rust

I am about to paint my tank (1982 GS 650L) and I have noticed a little surface rust forming on the inside of the tank while I am still preping it to be painted. Is this something I need to worry about, and if so how can I remove that rust? Thanks.

Todd
    todd_s@bellsouth.net

Slight surface rust is nothing to worry about. It's unpainted metal and just the humidity in the air is enough to cause it. While you have the tank off and not yet painted you may want to take the opportunity to use a gastank sealer like Kreem. That way you don't have to worry about the problems caused with rust in that tank later on.

--- Frank ---

Comment

will give that a try

Thanks Frank. I will look for that product.

Comment

Before you plunk down your cash for Kreem, or a similar product, talk to the dealer about using it. It is a multi-part process and if you do not follow the steps exactly it can fail, either immediately or soon after application, and the process may need to be done again.

Many folks have used it, and had good luck. Others have had problems.

I tried to buy it, and the dealer said I should try to find a professional gas tank repair shop to do it, because the stuff was dangerous to work with, and both humidity and temperature-sensitive.

Kreem goes for CA$40. here.
        For CA$90. I got a full clean and re-coat and a 3 year guarantee.
        "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
        Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

I think the dealer is trying to scare you in order to get your money. Yes, one of the components of using Kreem is an acid for etching the inside of the tank. The hazard come with that if you are sloppy and get the acid on the paint, it will take it off.

Most botched Kreem jobs are because people don't prep the tank properly and use the acid because they are afraid of messing up the paint. Since this is a stripped gas tank and the inside sounds fairly pristene just follow the directions and you'll be fine. I've done 3 tanks so far and have never had a problem with any of them.

--- Frank ---

Comment

Gas tank sealer

I recently used a sealer from a conpany called Caswell Inc. (www.caswellplating.com). I coated the tank of my '82 1100E and had about half of the product left over. Really easy to apply. You rinse the tank out with either acetone or laquer thinner, mix 2 parts together, pour it in the tank, swirl it around, let it dry, and that's it. The kit cost me $19.50 plus shipping and like I said I had half left over. I have had no problems so far and it's cheaper and less smelly than Kreem.

Comment

Hey guys, I have had good luck with a product called Rustol, available from Sudco. It takes the rust out and prevents it from coming back in one application, very easy to use, they even recommend you both dilute it and rinse it out with water.

Comment

Working...
              X