Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Front sprocket free rotation when in gear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front sprocket free rotation when in gear?

Currently making a recently purchased 82 GS1100E roadworthy (has seen a lot of "out in the weather time").
    While replacing tires/chain/sprocket noticed that the front sprocket has quite a bit of rotation to it when the bike is in 1st gear.
    Anybody know roughly how many degrees of rotation the sprocket should have when it's in gear? When it's a concern?

Thanks in advance.

How far is it moving?

Comment

About 90 degrees total.

Comment

Seriously 90 degrees? That's a lot. Maybe the dogs aren't engaging before you try? That's a lot even for a worn tranny. Anyone else have a guess?

Comment

I might be exaggrating (I hope so considering your response). I was pretty tired last night when I noticed this.
          I'll check again this evening and make sure.

Comment

Ah, yeah, I did go a bit over the top. Looks like it's closer to 30 degrees. Maybe 35 but I don't think so (you'd think with two school age kids I'd a protractor in the house).
            Anyway, does that seem normal. I know there has to be some slop, but....

Comment

I don't know... 30-35 degrees sounds excessive to me, but there's nothing in the factory service manual saying one way or the other. There are others here more knowledgable than I on GS transmissions. There may be excessive lash that would require some shimming. Have you ridden the bike? If so how did it feel when you let off the throttle and then throttled back up?

Tim

Comment

Working...
              X