Leaking Head Gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaking Head Gasket

For some time, the head gasket on my '82 GS650GL has leaked oil in the area of the 4th cylinder. The upsetting part is that the bike only has 15,500 miles on it.

It has finally got on my nerves and I want to fix it. What is the process I should follow? Should I pull the engine and if so, how does it come out? What special tools may I need? What parts should I replace besides the gasket?

Since I'll have the head off, a valve on the right side of the engine is tapping when the engine is cold so I might as well fix that. The bike also blows out quite a bit of smoke when at moderate to high RPMs. Once it warms up, the tapping goes away and the smoke quits completly. Does that mean the valves need to be redone?

Thanks.

no need to yank the engine

I just did my 82 GS850 and had never done one before. I did not need to take the engine out in order to do it. It was crucial to have a manual so I could get the timing chain back in the right position when putting it back together, knowing what the torque settings and tightening patterns were for the bolts etc. I would get a new head gasket, a square o ring gasket that goes in the middle, (the parts place will see it on the diagram, and a new valve cover gasket. I also got some molybednium paste, or "moly paste" at a car parts place, because it was cheaper, since the manual pointed out to put on the overhead “cam shaft journals".
    Since my valves needed adjusting I bought a tappet depressor tool. They are about $30.00 and look like they should cost $2.00. A torque wrench is also something to get or borrow. Although I had a manual, I made a mistake and did not reset the cam chain tensioner the first time I put the bike back together. It made quite the whining sound. After posting a question on this forum and resetting the cam chain tensioner it ran purrrrrrrrrfect.
    I used the expertise of the kind people that answer questions at this forum and it helped me as I went through my engine odyssey in stages.
    I'm sure you will get lots of good advice here.
    Good Luck,
    Mike Newman

Comment

Ok. I shot a few pictures. I'm sorry, but I am full of questions. I have replaced the head on a '85 Lynx but never on a motorcycle.

It doesn't look like I can get my sockets in there to remove the bolts without pulling something out. If I don't pull the engine, do I need to take the gas tank off? Where do I get a manual? Where do I get the replacement gaskets?

Looking at the bike from the front:

A close up of the leaking area:

Comment

You need to get a manual. yes the tank has to come off, coils and horn possibably also, and the exhaust too, use plenty of penatrating oil on exhaust bolts. I have heard that they like to break. As for gaskets check with your Suzuki dealer or maybe bikebandit.com or DennisKirk.com? check links page for parts sources. Work slow and if you have any questions Take pictures before you take it apart and during for reference

Comment

Well, the repair is a no-go. After chatting with my dad (the true owner of the bike) and checking on the price of the gasket ($71 from bikebandit) I have decided that I will keep checking the oil. To keep oil off of my pant leg, I will just tuck it into my sock.

Comment

Twin motos

Wow, we've got (almost - mine's blue) twin bikes, right down to the leak! Thanks for bringing this up - I've been avoiding mine for 3,000 miles, slavishly checking the oil. Good to know what to do when I get to it.

Comment

I replaced the head gasket and associated o rings and other gaskets on my 79 GS850GN at about 34000 miles. I broke 2 exhaust studs and had a miserable time replacing them. This all for an oil leak. After putting it together it was leaking again in a thousand miles. Just a little. Before taking it apart I'd try one or both of these fixes.
              1. Re-torque the head bolts.
              2. Clean the leak area well-the head/case joint. Then put some hi temp silicone rubber on the joint, 1/4" or so-maybe more.
              Both fixes suggested to me by the dealer mechanic AFTER I did the work.
              joe b.

Comment

I would still do it if...

I know the gasket kits are expensive. I liked the comment about re-torquing the head bolts. After I got all done with my 82GS850 it leaked a little bit but not at the head gasket as it did before, but at the base gasket. Anyway I torqued the head bolts in the pattern in the book to about 7 or 8 foot pounds greater than the specification. I have 500 miles on it now and not a sign of a leak.
                If it still leaks, do the work slowly over the winter if you can so you are not in a hurry. I was able to do all of the work with only taking the gas tank off, the carbs and the exhaust.
                Good luck
                Mike Newman

Comment

Since you are not going to take it apart you may want to retorque the head bolts, may help Here are specs for 850, should be ery close to your requirements
                  27 ft lbs Make a dia for bolts number them front lable 9 5 1 3 7 11
                  rear 10 8 4 2 6 12 sequence to tighten bolts, on.

Comment

Working...
                  X