1150 windscreen success

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1150 windscreen success

8) On my second try I was successful in making a lexan windscreen for my GS 1150 EF.
    The way I did it was I first bought a 24 ''x 24'' piece of XL 10 lexan, which is resistant to the sun. Then I took my old windscreen and made a template by holding the bristle board paper on the inside of the windscreen and tracing an outline. I made the template a little wider at the back which makes the windscreen higher and the laid it on the lexan, leave the protective plastic on until you finish cutting, and marked a cut line. Then I cut the lexan using a jig saw with a fine tooth blade, I think it was around 10 teeth.
    Next I made a jig to put the lexan in. The jig was made of some 3/4 plywood I had left over. I took my old windscreen put it on the plywood and traced around the inside, then I screwed some stop blocks around the outside of the line, I also made a curved piece that I screwed onto the back of the jig, this went around the outside of the lexan and held it in place, with out this piece the lexan would make a triangle shape when heated and not a nice round contour.
    I then place the whole thing in an oven preheated 250 degrees farenheit for about 12 min. This will vary depending on your oven.
    I probably could have left it longer because when I took the screen out of the jig it didn't quite maintain its curve.
    All that's left to do now it to clean up the edge and go and test it.
    It looks good and it is higher than the original.

It took 2 tries but in the end I was successful.
    The XL 10 lexan cost me $22 can.

updates as they come

Jari

Excellent! This sounds like it ahould go into the tips and tricks area.

Comment

Congratulations Jari, well done. Keep us updated.
      Dink

Comment

1 question for you. You work for a bakery or the family biz is making pizzas? I could never fit a windscreen into my oven at home.

Comment

Working...
        X