Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

exhaust question.. easy one too (i think)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

exhaust question.. easy one too (i think)

Just got a 1980 GS850S. Both pipes are full of holes. I'm getting prepared to pull the carbs to clean and inspect. (dont wanna jet them either)

I would like to replace the blown pipes with a quiet and close to stock pipe. I know I can go the ebay route and get some used pipes. BUT, they go for too much! I would rather spend a little more for a new pipe.

I'm not looking to jet or go to pods. This bike will be a daily driver for me. I would like to keep my ears from ringin when I'm through riding. I MIGHT run a uni filter IF it doesn't cause the bike to go leaner. Maybe electronic ignition one day....

I've read through the forum that most people refer to the Mac pipes as a good "stock" replacement without jetting, etc... Are you guys referring to the 4-2 or 4-1? Im assuming that the vance & hines are going to be like all the vance and hines i've heard, nasty loud and require jetting.

any comments or ideas on a good stock replacement?

thanks to all that read and reply in advance!

Hall

First I your bike is truly a 1980 model, then you allready have electronic ignition.
    I dont know of any aftermarket quiet pipes, but if some one makes them, then some one here will know about it.
    I have a stage 1 k&n filter in my bike, it is one that replaces the stock filter but still uses the stock air box, depending on location and varables in production, between bikes rejetting may not be needed with the stage 1 filter.
    k&n puts out complete kits that include the filter and the proper jets to compisate for the freer breathing of new K&n filter...

Comment

I have not heard good things about Mac pipes. They will rot out in no time flat, but they are inexpensive. I run a Jardine on my '78 GS750 and am happy with it. It is all chrome and I can keep my centre stand and do not have to remove it to change my oil filter. Can you still get one? I don't know, as I bought mine years ago. 8)
      Kevin
      E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
      "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
      Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

I replaced the 4 into 2 original on my bike with a mac 4 into 1 system, no jetting required. I think most mac systems are like that. So far, I'm very pleased with the pipes, they sound nice without getting into your head on a long ride. I'm not sure how they'll stand the test of time, but they were very inexpensive, and look great. No restriction on center stand or oil plug and filter. I opted for the flat black as they are inexpensive, and the chrome is probably not the best quality, and I'm sure they will be prone to turning blue quickly. Hope this helped a little. Dominick.........

Comment

If you want cheap, you can always go the JC Whitney route. I bought some slipons from them for $49 apiece (the longest megaphones they had). Had a buddy of mine cut the headers. Bought 2 each 6 inch extensions from local parts store (exhaust pipe). Had same buddy do the welding. Not the best looking cobble job in the world, but they are very functional, the baffles can be changed out and the total cost was less than $150. Excepting the exhaust pipe sections I bought, its all chrome and shiny.

Comment

Working...
          X