How to remove the "clear coat" on aluminum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to remove the "clear coat" on aluminum

You know how that old clearcoat over your aluminum sometimes fades, and you just decide it's easier to polish your aluminum once in a while?

Well, I (accidentally) found a nice product to help you remove that old clear coat. It's Castrol Super-Clean. You can find it in a gallon jug in auto parts stores, and it costs about $7.

It sure did a number on my clear coat. It said on the jug "not for use on motorcycles", but like most warning labels, I just ignored it. I was just using it to remove some old grime from an oil leak...

I just figured I'd pass along the info in case anyone was actually planning on removing their clear-coat.

--Mitch

Hmmm. And to think I just used paint stripper.... :?
    Kevin
    E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
    "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
    Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

That Super-clean stuff is stout, alright............

What I hear most people doing to get the anodize off the aluminum is easy-off oven cleaner. Spray it and let it sit, wipe it off, and re-apply if needed.

Then break out the sandpaper and polish!!!

Comment

I did a post called Making it brighter which is in the Appearance Mods section. It's a lot of work initaily but I haven't touched that aluminum in almost 6 monthes except when washing and drying the bike. Shines almost as well as chrome.

Comment

Meanest stuff I ever found to remove anything remotely resembling paint or clear coating is on the shelf at Walmart, Dads Stripper. Just don't get it on your skin! Try it, paints of any kind don't stand a chance!

Comment

I used zipstrip brand paint remover and it worked great. Easy hose off when done. DO NOT use oven cleaner as L. Speed mentioned!!! I don't know where ya heard that worked buddy but, any cleaner with acid mixed in will ruin aluminum surface smoothness so bad it will take forever or a pro to bring it back. Test any product on a scrap piece first before spraying on yer bike. Believe me, learned the hard way long time ago.

Comment

I use paint remover to strip the clearcoated aluminum engine parts and sandpaper for anodized aluminum like swingarms. Don't have much use for Castrol Super cleaner it will almost immediately fade any painted surface in comes in contact with. I like Simple Green for most cleaning or kerosine for removing oil crud and tar.
              Axel

Comment

Castrol Super Clean sure is primo stuff. I got tipped off on it by an old mechanic last year while restoring a sailboat. Be careful with it though, it'll eat alloy and take the varnish off wood instantly. I'm not useing it on my bike because it's just a little too powerful. SimpleGreen for the oil and grease, paint stripper for the clear coat, sandpaper on the plastic and I'm planning on blasting the steel.

Be careful with that SuperClean, don't let it soak in, just spray on and wash off, lots of water.

Dave

Comment

Working...
                X