Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

taken 3 weeks to get carbs rebuilt and synced!!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

taken 3 weeks to get carbs rebuilt and synced!!!!!!!!!!!

Just a little complaing to get it off of my chest. I took my 1978 gs750 to a Suzuki dealer to have my carbs rebuilt and have them synced. I took the bike down on a Thursday evening. The carbs were suppose to have been rebuilt the next day. They said as soon as the air filter came in they would sync the carbs. that was three weeks ago this Thurday. after a week I went to the shop to check on the bike. They realizes that no one had ordered the air filter. We'll order that "next day". Never came in that week either or the next. Finally this past Thursday I got mad and ordered a UNI filter from Dennis Kirk. I received it yesterday. and took it to them today.
    The info I got today was that the filter came in last week and they tried to get it synced but couldn't. they took the carbs apart and found 2 jets clogged and one totally broke off. now don't you think the guy that "rebuilt" the carbs the first time should have cleaned those jets and saw that one of them was broken off?
    Please bombard me with all of your thoughts. It will make me feel so much better

Sorry to hear 'bout your troubles, but it's these experiences that keep me wrenching on my own bikes.

Comment

Cut corners

They probably tried to "cut corners" when they worked on the carbs, which is a calculated risk. If the bike runs good....they luck out. If it doesn't, it costs them money and......it costs you time. I recently rebuilt my carbs. It's only the second time I've ever done it and it took me quite a few hours but....I'm certain nobody could have done a better job cause nobody cares about them as much as I do. I do everything that I can on my bike for that very reason. I always end up learning quite a bit, too!
      1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

A lot of people do not like working on carbs.
        I did my first set on my old H*NDA CL350 in the mid 80's when I was 15.
        No matter what your skill level is anyone can do this, it is just a matter of having a repair manual and going as slow as it takes to do it right.

Pay them for the work they have done (or not done), take the bike back, and do it yourself.

Also take the time to replace the factory phillips head screws with allen head screws. (for that matter replace all factory phillips head screws with allen head screws - that is unless you like using your impact wrench )

Comment

I agree. Doing it yourself is usually much better. You know the quality (or lack thereof) that went into the repair. I don't trust my life to a 9-5 mechanic. Carburetors are easy to rebuild/clean if you buy the right tools and a couple cans of carb dunk cleaner.

Tim

Comment

Rebuild kits

I wouldn't use aftermarket rebuild kits. OEM parts are kind of "spendy" but well worth the money. The parts I removed were from a kit and the quality was noticeably crummy and the pilot jets were the wrong size...way wrong.
            1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

I agree with C.Cheese.
              Some aftermarket carb bits may be OK, but I haven't ever seen any. Do you really want to strip the carbs down again to fit the genuine article?

Comment

Keep your bike at home where it belongs,you'll learn more about your bike and it's much,much cheaper.Time spent with your bike is free, others spented time with your bike cost.

Comment

SPENDING.......I new at this I'll get better promise. LOL
                  82-750E

Comment

I agree completely with chuckycheese. Never go to a mechanic. EVER. Its not their bike so they will never do as good a job as you. I was quite daunted when I first tackled the carbs, now I can do them with my eyes shut. Really. Do it yourself, its not hard and you can always post your questions here if you come a bit unstuck.

Comment

In addition your experience will help you should you ever brake down while on the road. :roll:

Comment

Learn to do it yourself. It will be an excellent skill that you will have forever. I recently had a bitter experience myself and will never have a shop tune my bike again.

Comment

Carbs

2 important things to remember about doing your carbs:
                          1. Do 1 at a time so you have 3 to refer to in case you mess up or think you may have done something wrong.
                          2. If you do them all at once and carb dip them you HAVE to replace the O rings cause the carb dip will eat them up.

Opps actually 3 things:

3. If you arnt familier with adjusting the air screws don't mess with them. Save adjusting them until you are a little more familier with your carbs before trying to tweak them using the air screws.

Comment

I just rebuilt the carbs on my '83 GS850 G. I'm good with cars, however only fuel injection, and i dont know anything about motorcycles. anybody with good mechanical common sense (an attribute that comes free with being male!!) can rebuild carbs. like the others said, go slow, get new gaskets and o-rings. there's also a really good pictoral step-by-step guide posted here on the GS Resources which was extreamly helpful for me. Dont go to a mechanic!! they'll charge you through the nose, and when you call every other day to ask where your bike is they'll give you the "parts havent come in yet" story. especially on legacy bikes like our GS's its a good idea to know what's going on should you encounter a problem while on the road!

Comment

carbs

I am stuck in the middle of a carb "rebuild". I got my 79 GSL 1000 out after letting it set one summer while letting the novelty of my new bike wear off. The carbs are plugged up!

I went thru this once before and took it to a shop and after many months got it back running fine. I won't put myself thru that again. I am an old hot rodder and should have no problem cleaning up some carbs and yet can't make it go.

I have cleaned the carbs and did the blow air thing like I'v done on Holleys or Q-Jets many times. No Go.

The thing will not run unless the choke is engaged and then only will idle.
                              Are there any secrets to these Mukuni carbs or what? Any resourses on the net to educate myself.

Comments appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                              X