Closed throttle windup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Closed throttle windup

Looking for help diagnosing this problem with my 83 GS650G. With the bike idling and no input to the throttle, the engine will start to rev up until its at about 5200 RPM and will stay there. If you're on the road you can bump it down (sometimes) with the clutch but it will happen again. The idle is also pretty lumpy, like a car with hot cams.
    I've checked for mechanical hangups, etc. and found nothing. I think it must be an air leak somewhere. Any suggestions?

Sounds like loping to me. You are correct in looking for vacuum leaks. Use carb cleaner sprayed around all of your intake manifolds. (This is happening with the idle plate closed so don't bother checking ported vacuum.) Concentrate on anything between the throttle plate and the engine.

Tim

Comment

Also, if you are as un-knowledgable as I am, make sure you know what choke position is on and what is off.. *L* When I first started messing with the bike, I had the choke all of the way on after it would warm up.. I would start the bike and the RPM's would rocket!.. Im learning... SSSLLOOWWLLYYY

Comment

They will do that also if the carbs are bad out of sync.....look for air leaks first.

Comment

Working...
        X