77 gs750 clutch problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

77 gs750 clutch problem

bike has been sitting for a few years but fired up no problem, and holds idle after a warm up. The cluth lever pulls with normal spring resistance and does move all the way to engaged and disengaged position. no apparent sounds or rubbing can be heard or felt through out the entire lever action. sitting on the bike with it running i pulled the cluth lever in and shifted into first and the bike stalled on the spot. the clutch lever does nothing. i can roll the bike in nuetraul with the level pulled or not oulled. but in first gear the bike will not roll ( can be pushed to rotate motor). even with the clutch level pulled in the bike will not roll if it is in first gear. comes in and out of gear ok...

any suggestions would help. Mark
    ( Kaptain_ketchup442@hotmail.com )

Okay, the bike has been sitting for a few years, and now the clutch drags. Assuming the clutch worked fine before you stored the bike and assuming your clutch cable is adjusted correctly (with maybe 1/8 inch freeplay at the handle) i'd say you have a considerable amount of sludge built up on the friction and driven plates. Change your oil, replace one of the quarts with Marvel Mystery Oil, and run the bike for 1/2 hour or so. Then try to take her for a ride. After 500 or so miles, change the oil again, using good clean motor oil.

Another possibility is warped driven plates.

Yet another would be bad countershaft bearings.

Tim

Comment

Also, make sure the clutch is adjusted properly... my lever moved full range, no problems, a little less than "proper" resistence and it would not disengage the engine, I adjusted the clutch and all is good... then again, my problem was not after storage, but after replacing a cable

Comment

77 gs 750 clucth problems STILL!!!

Tried the complete oil additive treatment, and the clutch still will not disengage the engine. the motor runs very well now though!!. I pulled off the clutch cover and the clutch lever releases some pressure on the clutch and i sprayed the entire thing to remove some of the gunk (not much visible that came off) and carefully made sure none of the plates were stuck together and sprayed in between each plate and let it sit for a bit and cleaned it off and put new oil in it and i still have the same problem.... im gonna try to adjust the cable tomorrow (havent had lots of free time this week). there doesnt seem to be much wrong with the cable, as it appears to move things in the clutch area. Thanks to all who replied!!, really appreciate the insight and help.

Comment

Mark:

Generally a clutch that will not disengage can be attributed to one of a short list of probabilities. The most likely are: excessive clutch lever free play, bent or warped clutch plates, broken or loose linings or lack of lubrication in the clutch actuating mechanism.
          The only other possibility I can think of is stuck/sludged clutch plates.

Earl
          All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

SUCCESS!!!
            shifts and runs great, thanks for all the help. dismantled clutch and throughly cleaned all components, and it now disengages from the engine. Hopefully the bike will see the open road soon.

Comment

Working...
            X