Positive lead to Regulator/Recitfier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Positive lead to Regulator/Recitfier

Would it do any harm to run a lead from the output of my RR to the positive terminal of the battery? I want to do it as a backup to the circuit, in case one of the many connections go bad. Then, I think the circuit would be 'completed' because juice is coming from the other side of the bad connection. Just a thought...And, yes, I did clean ALL the connections I could find. I'm replacing my junk RR, and I want to make sure the RR doesn't burn up, again. Thanks.

-Sean

Regulator Positive

I will be fine as far as I know.
    I am doing it now with a new regulator, on my 1100 and it is charging the battery fine.
    The positive is just the regulated DC voltage out. There shoud be nothing aside from a short there that would kill your regulator on that line.
    The three "yellow" are the unregulated AC voltage in and the black, the ground which I have affiex to the negative terminal on the battery.
    Be sure the connections are tight!
    I am bypassing all old regulator wiring, and running new wire to the stator (3 yellow) and the red and black to their respective terminals on the battery. If anything is responsible for a fried reg, it would be loose connections, or a bad stator.
    Make sure the stator is in spec first!!

Cheers,,

Brad

Comment

You certainly can run the positive wire straight to the battery. I do this and also the negative lead.

Comment

wireing

After changing the wireing make sure your battery is toped off and it is a good batt. I change mine every 2 years max. If you dont and it starts to become weaker the bike will run for many months and the reg. por. of the unit will have to work its butt off every time you start it , and therein lies the problem the reg. unit it self is light duty . About keeping the batt. toped off .I can't think of a quicker way to kill the reg . unit than to be low on water and ride it hard for a few hours in hot weather. All that juice has got to go somewhere and if the battery isn't able to accept it the stator catches heat ,and the reg. When every thing is up to snuff, the stock unit works fine . I moved my reg .unit out from under the battery box and put it out front under the lower triple clamp works fine and has to be cooler being in the wind.

Comment

I have a question,, if your battery has enough to start your bike,, then wouldn't it accept the same charge or a greater one than a "good" battery?? And what about when your battery becomes fully charged? then the regulator must disipate the excessive energy. I know the factory stuff is the weak point of the GS series, and yes the electrex repacement is a much better design and concept, especialyy the regulator, but be warned,, if your bike was a bit tough to start and cranked a little longer then it could have or shoud have, it will "take" a higher rate of charge then it should. If the battery is charged too fast it will become hot and warp the plates similar to what happens if you over charge your battery. The electrix regulator can cause this condition. Don't get me wrong,, the stuff is much better, I will use it anyday over the factory parts, but make sure you at least have a headlight on soon after you start your bike or you could be damaging your battery. The electrix regulator/rectifier eliminated the "cheap" wiring that suzuki used to control this problem (running the 3rd leg of the stator through the headlight switch) thereby causing a potential to run 25 to 30 amps to your tired batter that just worked hard to start your stubborn bike. I hope this helps a few and I'm sorry I jumped around and ran on..

Comment

wireing

I have a question , If your battery has enough energy to start your bike, then would't it accept the same charge or greater one than a good battery?? Hear we go , A new battery that has just been ativated with the electrolite will start your bike . It does not have full capacity until it has been charged .The charging system on your motor-cycle is designed to maintain a full capacity battery.This means replaceing the engery starting the bike used .The charging system is not designed to charge a weak or problemed battery. This is where the reg. comes in. A weak or problem battery overworks the reg. Unlike the altenator that has windings the reg dissipates no engery until its load (battery) calls for Direct Current , which in the case of a weak battery may destroy the reg. which if shorted will destroy the altenator. Have a nice day!!! Ken Helms

Comment

Working...
            X