Add on Headlight Bar???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Add on Headlight Bar???

I have a 1980 GS1000G and do a fair amount of evening riding. I am considering adding a headlight bar with 2 additional headlights to brighten up the road. I have 2 questions. Will the electrical system hold up with the extra load? Where can I purchase this add-on for a bike this old? Any additionl information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

RockinGS

I put small running lights on my 81 GS1000G, which had the stock charging system. It worked fine. I don't recommend anyone do this, due to known problems with the electrical system. I spend considerable time maintaining my wiring system once every three months. I clean all of the connectors, replace any chafed wires, etc. Most people don't care to spend that kind of time fixing something that works.

If you're considering a pair of those large headlights, like you see on modern cruisers, i'd recommend you forget it.

Tim

Comment

I added driving lights to my 850 with great success. What I did was add a pair of 6 volt lights and wired them in series so the total load was 12 volts. Works great. Its a given that the 6 volt bulbs are not quite as bright as the 12 volt lights, but I thought it safer on my charging system (OEM at the time). Now that I have the Electrex stator and R/R installed I may upgrade to a pair of 12 volt lights. You may want to consider upgrading your charging system if you add a light bar (ie: like a Harley). I'm not positive, but I wouldn't be suprised if those lights really up the amp requirement (probably 35 to 40 watt bulbs). Good luck.

Comment

your stock system should be 250 watt,, on my bike (79 GS 1000E) suzuki was kind enough to have a 10 amp accessory terminal near the fuse block, I run a vetter fairing with stereo and occasionaly a pair of 55 watt fog lights.. and that is a bit taxing on the system,, One thing to know,, as long as your below the 250 watt draw on your bike,, the stator and rectifier don't know the difference,, the stator produces the same amount of power if your running 10 watts or 300 watts,, the only item that know the differnce is the regulator and it actualy works less with higher watt draw.. You will just notice your lights dim slightly at idle as the stator dosen't produce much under 1500 RPM,, in fact it's rated at 5000 RPM but I've found that mine produces the most around 3500 4000 RPM. Hope this helps

Comment

Working...
        X