Petcock question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Petcock question

OK, forgive my ignorance but I really new to all of this. The petcock on my 1980 gs750e does not have anything pronted on it such as "prime", "on" ect. It also does not have a switch either. Is it broken? Do I need a new one?

Thanks everybody

"It also does not have a switch either"

If you ment lever... then I would say yes.

Comment

I don't know about the 750, but the 1980 GS1100 did not come with a lever. It had to be manipulated with a small screwdriver.

Comment

Ahh yes..lever, thats it. Thanks. A local dealer says he can get me one for about $75. Is this too much for a new one? Also, does anyone know what size bolt is used to mount the gas tank?

Thanks
        Ozric

Comment

You don't need a new one unless you can't live without a reserve, they came the way yours' is now

Comment

Prime position

If it's like mine, it has an indented white screw which should be in the horizontal position. In or to put it in the prime position, you need to carefully turn it to the vertical position. I thought I needed a new one a while back but took it apart and cleaned it and it works great. I sure wouldn't buy anything from a Suzuki dealer unless I had to....they're really expensive. If you do find that you need one, you can buy one from Bike Bandit or, better yet, Ron Ayers Motorsports for about $45. It will be brand new and an original Suzuki part. They do a lot of internet business and I've never found cheaper Suzuki parts.
            1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Thank You guys! You are a big help. Any info on the tank mounting bolt size?

Comment

I think I remember is as an 8mm shaft (12mm head?)

Comment

I have the same bike and recently replaced the petcock. I was able to clean and reuse the old bolts with no problem. You might be able to also. Dominick.........

Comment

I was thinking he meant the bolt that holds the tank in place, not the bolts that hold the petcock on. For the petcock bolts, I cleaned them up with some WD40 and reused them. The tank mounting bolt could be replaced with one from the hardware store (size??????), but I thinking if this is the bolt you needed, you will also need the "rubber baby buggy bumper" that goes with it.

Comment

Yes I am looking fot the tank mounting bolt and the rubber bumper thingy. I have a hard time getting a hold of the previous owner to see what parts he still has of it so I figure to get what I can on my own. If he comes up with the parts then Il have extras.

Comment

I can't answer you for certain, because we don't have the same bike, but my GS1100 tank bolts are 6mm with 10mm hex heads. I'm not sure of the thread size, but I think it is 1.25.

Like you, I don't have the original buggy bumpers, so I used a flat washer on top of rubber grommets, which any auto or hardware store can supply.

Bolt length wil depend on the thickness you build.
                        "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
                        Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

The oem bolt 8mm is aprox 1 3/8" long(you convert size) 12 mm head with a shoulder about half way where it tightens against the frame. If you use a hardware store bolt you may need to use a thread locking compound so as to not over tighten it. The tank should move slightly, not be solidly mounted.

Comment

petcock

Your petcock works on vacumn control. It has a small white screw inset to switch from reserve, on, to off. If you leave it in the on position, and the bike is off the fuel will be shut off. As soon as you start the bike it will allow fuel to start flowing. I had a bad experience with this type. I set the bike on it's side stand and the plunger in the petcock stuck, and one of the floats stuck also, and allowed fuel to fill up the cylinder. to make a long story short ,I bent a valve trying to start it. Does anyone know if any manual petcocks out of other gs's will work. Thanks, Rush

Comment

petcocks

Hey GS750Eman,
                              A Suzuki parts guy told me recently that most of the gs petcocks are interchangable.....
                              1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Working...
                              X