Oil Cooler?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Cooler?

I'm looking for an oil cooler for a 82 GS1100EZ. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Any help would be much appreciated.

Oil Cooler

Me Too!

Comment

Hmmm... I'm not sure, but I don't think you can find them NEW anymore. I have one on my 1100EZ that I got from Lockhart back in 1986. Probably your best bet would be to check on E-Bay every few days. Or look for motorcycle related web sites that have used parts "FOR SALE" such as this one. Sooner or later one will turn up. Sorry to be a downer. Good Luck to both of you.

Comment

Get one from Dennis Kirk for a Harley and fit it to your bike. Do you really need an oil cooler? Mineral oil breaks down at 310 degrees F. An engine with standard main and rod bearings will have an inner-bearing oil temperature about 40 degrees higher than the oil in the pan. You have roller bearings, and will have no such increase. Unless your oil is 290 degrees or higher, you're wasting your money. Of course if you just want I project to do, or like the looks of oil coolers, I'm all for it.
        :P

Comment

go to the local bike boneyard and scratch around for what you need cheap, fabricate and modify as needed

Comment

Here's couple of places to check.
            Not sure if the one a Earl's is a direct bolt-on or if it will require some mods.
            The ones at Derale would certainly take some custom work to install.
            They do seem to be a bit spendy.

I did a pretty extensive search of the Internet on this recently and this is the closest I found. I haven't moved forward with any thing yet.
            If you find something better let me know.

Comment

No need, but a want

I agree with the previous mention of an oil cooler not being a necessary item. It's something you want, but not necessarily need. 16 years on four GS850's and now a GS1100GK, almost 200,000 miles. I ride aggressively, relatively speaking. If my bikes had been equipped with oil coolers, I would have welcomed them. On the other hand, they ran just fine for many miles without oil coolers.

Since an oil cooler is not an absolutely essential item for a GS, whether 8- or 16-valver, to run well for many thousands of miles, you can afford to take the time to find one and/or fabricate one, if that's what you want.

Nick

Comment

It seems the 82GS1100EZ runs a little hot and needs a oil cooler.
                I have one on mine from a GS1150 seems to work fine and a easy hook up. Mike

Comment

Oil filter cover

I've heard that an oil cooler is useless on the GS without the matching oil filter plate, to redirect the oil through the cooler. Has anyone else heard this?
                  I spoke with someone at Niagara Race Crafters in Canada, where they make and race drag bikes.

Comment

Thanks for the info:

Thanks for the replies. I'm worried about the oil temperature because of a few modifications. I have just installed an 1168cc piston kit w/mild cams. My bike seemed to run a little hot stock. (I was told that the 82 model temp gauge was known to give higher than actual readings) Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but I figured better safe than sorry. I have been searching the net for a cooler for the last few days. I found this site in the process!! This alone makes the effort worthwhile.

Comment

Check further, I beleive better save than sorry. My knowledge is limited to what i have been told. I have had mods done to my bike and to help it run cooler I put heavy duty oil pump gears in it $38.00 gets the oil to the top of the engine quicker and helps with the oil cooler. The GS1150 oil cooler will mount on to the 1100 just like it is mounted on th 1150. It is simple.
                      Mike

Comment

Mike, I have installed the high volume oil pump gears you suggested, and a top end oiler kit. I called Suzuki this morning, unfortunately they no longer sell the 1150 oil cooler. I have a call into Earl's L.A. facility. I will post the results when I receive an answer. Mark

Comment

I installed an oil cooler on my 82 GS1100E when it was two years old. Prior to that, I had a couple of instances where I was stuck in traffic for 15-20 minutes on a hot summer day. In both cases, the oil temp shot up over 320?F. and when checking later, the oil's viscosity had broken down. With the oil cooler, the temp runs about 230?-240?F most of the time, and I haven't had the viscosity breakdown problem repeated. The drawback is that in cooler weather, the oil temp has a difficult time getting over 212?F, which is necessary to boil the water out of the oil. If you rarely ride in an urban setting where heavy traffic is commonplace, I agree that an oil cooler isn't really necessary; however, if you have to deal with traffic congestion regularly, I would suggest getting one, if only for a little peace of mind.
                          JP
                          1982 GS1100EZ (awaiting resurrection)
                          1992 Concours
                          2001 GS500 (Dad's old bike)
                          2007 FJR

Comment

John, I live in Southern California where it is warm year round and traffic is always a problem. (Thank god lane splitting is legal) Thanks for your reply. Mark

P.S. Anyone going to Laguna Seca this July for the World Superbike / AMA Race?

Comment

Re: Oil filter cover

Originally posted by bhodgins
                              I've heard that an oil cooler is useless on the GS without the matching oil filter plate, to redirect the oil through the cooler. Has anyone else heard this?
                              I spoke with someone at Niagara Race Crafters in Canada, where they make and race drag bikes.
                              The 1100 engines have places on the front of the block that are used for an oil cooler--you need some special fittings as supplied by earls--- i have an oil cooler on my 1100e that i made from junk parts off a honda 500--i also have 1166 kit with 10.25/1 pistons and as Nick has said the thing is not necessary-i fabricated my own and was fortunate enough to have the adapter given to me by a very generous person on our website.(Vic Camargo) I would like to know what you mean when you say that your bike is running a little hot

Comment

Working...
                              X