oil change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oil change

Just purchased used 1981 GS650 four. Want to change oil. Do not have any specs, how much oil does it hold? I assume the trans and engine oil are handled by the engine oil!

Stephen

It should say right by the filler cap. It'll have the volume stamped on the engine case in milliliters.

Comment

The transmission is lubricated by engine oil. I have an 81 GS650GL (shaft) and there is a drain plug for the main engine oil, a drain plug under the transmission, as well as the filter cover which all should be removed to completely drain the oil. With my shaft drive there is also a final drive which is lubricated by 90W gear oil, seperate from engine oil.
      I have a Clymer manual at home with the capacities for engine oil. It varies a bit if you change the filter or not. I will confirm this later but it seems to me 3.82L (4.04 qt) is the volume. That should get you close anyway. You can start it, let it run a bit, stop it and check the sightglass or dipstick to top it up.

Comment

The transmission is lubricated by engine oil. I have an 81 GS650GL (shaft) and there is a drain plug for the main engine oil, a drain plug under the transmission, as well as the filter cover which all should be removed to completely drain the oil. With my shaft drive there is also a final drive which is lubricated by 90W gear oil, seperate from engine oil.
        I have a Clymer manual at home with the capacities for engine oil. It varies a bit if you change the filter or not. I will confirm this later but it seems to me 3.82L (4.04 qt) is the volume. That should get you close anyway. You can start it, let it run a bit, stop it and check the sightglass or dipstick to top it up.

Comment

Oil change

The specs I have found said 3.3L or 3.49 US qt for engine oil. Do you know how much 90w gear oil goes in?

Stephen

Comment

90w isn't so much an oil as it is a paste.

Seriously though, anyone with a Clymers that details the same model should be able to tell you... I know my Clymers has the specs for all 400 425 and 450 Twins from '77 to '87.

Comment

Working...
            X