Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Noise from drivetrain, maybe shaft?

Hello All,

I've been noticing a "creek" noise coming from the rear of my GS1000G which varies with speed. I doesn't matter if it is in gear or out. clutch ingaged or not. It's almost like a frog croak which is always there but quiet, and happens at the same spot or time as the rear tire revolution. I set it on the center stand and manually turned the tire without hearing the noise. I reminds me of a bicycle rim with a real loose spoke that rubs another spoke as the rim is applied pressure at the spot of the loose spoke. This bike has mags and is shaft drive. I was concerned about a bearing going bad in either the rear rim or shaft drive. Has anyone had a similar noise or problem? The bike is old but has been kept in good shape. If someone could give me a starting point that would be great.

rockinGS

The first thing I would do is pull the rear wheel, clean and re-grease the splines where the wheel engages the differential. Make sure it's not brake related too. Of course you should check your differential fluid level as well, and grease it if there is a grease zert on the shaft. (I do not remember whether or not GS shafties have one...)

Tim

Comment

Since it happens at the same time in the tire revolution, it may not be the drive train at all. The final drive is comprised of several gear-driven parts, which turn at speeds that area different from the wheel, so this seems unlikely.

You really should check all the grease / oil applications anyway, but to me, what you describe seems like the wheel or tire touching something. Because it is not a constant noise, but it seems to happen predictably at the same position of the wheel, it may be that the wheel or the tire is out of true or is flexing. Have you changed tires lately, or bumped into something that could have damaged the wheel, or caused a tire bubble?

Check the tire for any signs of abrasion, on both sides AND on the tread. I had a problem like that once, and it was caused by a bolt that held the rear light bracket. It was harmless in normal riding, but while I was touring I had a lot of extra weight on the bike, so the springs were compressed and on certain heavy bumps the tire would touch the bolt.....took out the middle of the tread and ruined the tire that I had put on just before the trip.

Alignment and wheel true can be checked with a chalk line or other non-stretch cord.

It doesn't seem like the type of sound that would come from the brakes, but brake disk rotation is the same as the wheel and you are already looking in that area, so check for a warped disk.

BTW Tire bubbles cannot be repaired by a patch, a new tube, or any other means. You MUST get a new tire.

Nothing else I can think of...
      "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
      Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

check your rear wheel bearings, does the noise change any with aplication of the rear brake?

Comment

Working...
        X