Gear position indicator; GS 1150

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gear position indicator; GS 1150

My gear position indicator has just messed up. It goes 1-2-3- faded3-faded3. It blinks between all gears, like it is changing, 1-2-3 are very dark black, but in 4 & 5 it shows 3, and the # is about half as bright black as 1-2-& 3. Has not been wet, rain nor car wash. Where do I look first? Is there something that needs cleaned?

mine does the same...1st gear will light up 2nd and 3rd it still shows 1st then it shows 4th in 4th, in 5th it shows 1st...is there any adjustment down there?.........whos on 1st 8O

Comment

Did either of you work out what the solution is? I have just acquired a GSX750E from 1981 (7,700 miles, been stored in a garage since 1988), which has the same problem.

Since the fuel guage and the neutral light are also playing up, it seems like an earthing problem, but any wisdon you guys have would be appreciated.

Apart from these niggles, the bike seems absolutely fine after cleaning out the carburettors. I think it is going to be a bargain (I paid about 400 US dollars for it)....

Mark

Comment

My GS450L had the same problem initially, but after riding for a few miles it just went away. The bike had been sitting for 3 years. The only thing I did that I can think of that might have affected it was change to a heavier weight oil. Good luck.

Vr,
        Nathan

Comment

Couldn't find any problems, loose wires or anything. After a couple of weeks, it started working fine again, been perfect ever since Don't have a clue

Comment

My gear indicator on my '78 GS750 is even whappier. Most of the time I'm cruising around in 7th or 9th! 8O Can't seem to find any used ones. Tried another one, but with the same results. Doesn't really matter though, keep shifting up until I run out of gears, and gear down until it gears down no more! 8)
            Kevin
            E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
            "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
            Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Working...
            X