Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chain Considerations

Hi all,

I am considering putting a new chain on the GS750ES '83 for I am left with only 1-1/2 thread to go on the tensioners. The sprockets really look fine but Common Use says always to change the sprockets too. I realise this is an old discussion and many people have different opinions about it.

Question is that the partcatalogue at the dealer has a choice of three types of chain: 'O'-ring, X type and a W type.
    Are there any benefits for using one type over another or is it marginal and better to choose between brands rather than types?

I put an O-Ring chain on my '78 GS750, and it's one of the best things I ever did. I rarely have to adjust it, and lubrication isn't as critical as the lubrication is sealed inside the chain, hence the need for the O-Rings. They cost, but worth the bucks. Also, replace the sprockets if you're spending the big bucks on the chain. 8)
    Kevin
    E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
    "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
    Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Ditto the thoughts on changing sprockets with the chain. I just put chains and sprockets on my GPz750. $280

Comment

How about your Suz?

I just put chains and sprockets on my GPz750. $280

How about your Suzuki, Robert? When was the last time you put a chain and sprockets on it?

Nick

Comment

I'm still trying to figure out where they go on my Suzi. There is is long spinning enclosed shaft looking thingy in the way. I guess I'll just have to hammer it out of the way.

Comment

You know what Nick? Thats not entirely true. The last time I had a chain and sprockets on my GS850G was when I stopped by the parts store to pick them up for the Kawi.

Comment

How silly of me!

How silly of me, Robert. The chain on your Suzuki is located up between cylinders 2 and 3. Take off that terrific new cover you got from a very handsome guy from MD, and you'll find the chain. So there! That's where your chain is!

When was the last time you lubed that chain on your Suzuki?

Nick

Comment

Re: How silly of me!

Originally posted by Nick Diaz
                How silly of me, Robert. The chain on your Suzuki is located up between cylinders 2 and 3. Take off that terrific new cover you got from a very handsome guy from MD, and you'll find the chain. So there! That's where your chain is!

When was the last time you lubed that chain on your Suzuki?

Nick
                fortunatly it only has that one, my 1300 voyager six is suspose to have seven differant chains in the engine. 8O

Comment

What a kinky bike!

Fortunately it only has that one. My 1300 Voyager six is supposed to have seven different chains in the engine. 8O

My goodness, what a kinky bike that Voyager must be!

Nick

Comment

Working...
                  X