Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pod filters and crankcase ventilation !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pod filters and crankcase ventilation !!

I have removed the airbox and installed individual S & B pod filters on my 1978 GS750. The crankcase ventilation pipe used to connect to the airbox, hence re-circulating the fumes. What do I do with the ventilation system now. I think I will install a crankcase breather, it looks just like a miniture carb. pod filter. Has any one else fitted K & Ns (or other make) and what did you do with the crankcase ventilation pipe. All replies would be appreciated as I am about to make some brackets to support the carbs. in the absence of the airbox.

I just used a crankcase breather pod like you mentioned. There isn't nothing much that you can do with it.

--- Frank ---

Comment

Did the same thing, installed a K&N breather pod filter. 8)
      Kevin
      E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
      "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
      Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

breather

I did the same thing make sure to oil the breather ,positive and negative preassure at work here.

Comment

Thanks. I'll fit a pod filter. While I am at it, let me ask another question. Have you secured your carbs in any way or have you just sat them in the manifold rubbers and tightened them up. Now that the airbox has gone, they are not so secure.

Comment

Actually, the throttle cable holds the carbs up! Seriously, no, I haven't supported the carbs in any other way. Has worked this way for years. 8)
            Kevin

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,

Comment

The throttle cable does hold the carbs to soem degree, quite right. I might make a bracket to make it a bit more solid. Don't know yet.

Do you get a back popping through your carbs at all, now that the pods are fitted. I did today, only once, never had it before. Hopefully its a one off ....

Comment

If you are experiencing a 'popping,' it's most definitely a small backfire. It's do to the addition of your pods; improper jetting, most likely. The engine will be running lean in many spots, now (assuming your stock box had 'stock flow'). IF you have changed a few of the jets on each carb, maybe you did too much or not enough.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMadHatter
                  Do you get a back popping through your carbs at all, now that the pods are fitted. I did today, only once, never had it before. Hopefully its a one off ....
                  As a matter of fact I do, but only while it's warming up with the choke on. Once it's warmed up and the choke is off, it runs fine. 8)
                  Kevin

Comment

The pods have been removed, the airbox is back on. It just constantly bogged down withe pods on, it was a real pig. Thanks for all the advice. Have you guys rejjeted as well ass using pods ?

Comment

Originally posted by mcycle-nut
                      Originally posted by TheMadHatter
                      As a matter of fact I do, but only while it's warming up with the choke on. Once it's warmed up and the choke is off, it runs fine. 8)
                      having to keep the choke on longer indicates a lean condition-

Comment

Crankcase Ventilation

I used a K&N filter on my breather line but found it made a mess where I mounted it. So I ran a 3/4 in. clear tube with no filter to the rear of the bike and it exits beside the rear license plate. No more mess, looks kinda race to! 8) 8)

Andre

Comment

As far as carb support goes . I just used a couple of big zip-ties and looped them around carb bracket and the frame tubes over the carbs and just cinch them up enough to take most of the load off the boots and throttle cable. i just replace them every couple years because they do stretch after time. works for me.

Comment

Working...
                          X