1983 gs750es electrical problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 gs750es electrical problem

My tach, shift light, indicators (both signal, oil pressure, center stand) stop working today...i checked the fuses and one fuse..the signal one at 10Amps was blown...i replaced it and everything worked again ...for about 1 sec before the fuse blew again...anyone have any ideas on what could be wrong?

Sounds like you have a short somewhere. Take a look at at the wiring from the fuse til the gauges. Look for anything that looks worn or crimped. At some place along there, there is a bare piece of wire touching some metal or another wire. Once you find it you can either splice a new piece in or wrap it with electrical tape to test it. I hope this helps.

Comment

There should be an electrical connector that can be disconnected to isolate the instrument cluster. Disconnect this connector then put in a new fuse and see if it blows. If it does then the short is between the fuse and the connector. If it does not blow the short is some place between the connector and the instrument cluster or in the cluster itself.

Try to locate a wiring diagram if you can...these are a great help sometimes with this kind of problem.

Hap

Comment

thanks for the help so far....after trouble shooting for a while i determined that if i take out the rear brake light bulb..everything seems to work OK...except for the brake light of course...doesn't make a lot of sense?....i happen to have a spare frame that includes the brake light module and cables and i swapped them, but still have the same problem..still working on it though....i should note that it is the rear display light not the brake light casusing the problem....the licence plant light works ok..but the rear light that comes on when you start the bike is part of the probem..caused the fuse to blow...

Comment

Working...
        X