1980 1100E clutch slipping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 1100E clutch slipping

Have a GS1100E-1980.Occassionally my clutch slips getting on the gas in third and forth gears (i.e.getting on a freeway on ramp).Is this an adjustment problem or something greater.Any suggestions on what to check?

qfinucan

h

I believe, after reading other posts on this subject, that it may just be your springs. Some folks here have had good luck changing out both the springs and plates. Some say to just change 1 or the other because changing both leads to a sore wrist/hand when pulling in the clutch handle. Look through some of the other posts dealing with clutches and you will get more information. Good Luck!

Comment

Sounds like its time for a new clutch, are you using motorcycle oil or are you using regular automotive oil?
      using automotive oil will cause the symtoms you described.
      I recomend replacing both springs and friction plates, the presure springs weeken with age and it is best to just replace them while you have the clutch apart.
      unless you run your bike at the drag strip I recomend not getting a performance clutch and springs or you will end up with huge forearms.

Comment

I have the same problem with my 81' 750L, I have replaced both the springs and plates and it still slips when hammering the gas in 3, 4, 5. I will try changing brands of oil as I do you use a regular motor oil, Mobil 10-40(not synthetic though). Will post after I change it to let you know if it makes a difference.

Comment

oil

Look at the container if it says sl on it you are screwed , just kidding USE ONLY S G rated oil and if the plates are not blued sand blast them then put a spark plug washer on each bolt holding the springs that will put more pressure on the plates it worked for me .Mine started slipping in 4th gear when I would grab a hand full of gas and after going to the dealership I was informed that our gov. has mandated that the fuel saver oils are the norm from now on . The Slick 50 polymer tech.is what the problem is I think we all know better than to put STP oil treatment in our bikes. This is the same thing its to slick for wet clutches .

Comment

WHOA! What a difference. I would have to say that the type of motor oil you use definately makes a difference. Changed to a 4 stroke wet clutch specific oil made by Valvoline and now my clutch doesn't slip any more. So my definative answer to the question would be yes oil makes a difference.

Comment

I had a similiar problem with my '78 GS750. Replaced ALL the springs with Barnett items and now I have positve clutch engagement. I use a name brand,(Castrol, Valvoline, Pennzoil, or Quaker State) 10/40 automotive oil that's turbo approved. I don't think I've seen any 10/40 that is "Energy Conserving". Keep an eye on the clutch cable, and be aware that when you're showing the Harley boys how to ride in a bike rodeo, you're going to get a sore hand during the slow race! 8)
              Kevin
              E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
              "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
              Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Originally posted by krabysniper
                WHOA! What a difference. I would have to say that the type of motor oil you use definately makes a difference. Changed to a 4 stroke wet clutch specific oil made by Valvoline and now my clutch doesn't slip any more. So my definative answer to the question would be yes oil makes a difference.
                Do you mind telling us EXACTLY what oil you were using before you changed to the Valvoline .. (motorcycle specific Valvoline I assume?).. ??

By 'exactly' I mean what... Brand, Weight, and Service rating ?

Comment

Originally posted by Austin Mell
                  Originally posted by krabysniper
                  Do you mind telling us EXACTLY what oil you were using before you changed to the Valvoline .. (motorcycle specific Valvoline I assume?).. ??

By 'exactly' I mean what... Brand, Weight, and Service rating ?

No, I don't mind at all. It was Mobil1 10w-40 standard automotive oil not the synthetic stuff.

Comment

oil

Really doesn't matter weather its syn. or not if it has a rateing of s L then it has an additive package that is based on slick 50 tech.and that alone will somee times give trouble several months ago here in North Carolina you could go any where and buy s g rated oil 10 w 40 but now a container can'tbe found so I have switched over to Suzuki brand ,and between putting washers under the bolt heads to add more pre load and sand blasting the plates,with the oil change mine dosen't slip anymore. Seems that alot of us got caught when they changed rateing and we have all had to figure this thing out.

Comment

Working...
                    X