Synthetic oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Synthetic oil

Im sure you guys covered this before but i am about to charge my oil in my gs850 and i was wonderin if usein sythetic is worth the cost. If anybody has any experiences usein sythetic i would love to hear them
    Thanks
    Jus850

I under stand the the use of synthetic oil is not advise because it changes characteristics of the clutch operation---may cause the clutch to slip

Comment

synthetic oil is alot more resistant to break down under high heat conditions, tends to have a much higher sheer load reducing friction,(small gain in power) transmission wear and can also due to its superior lubrication qualities reduce operating temperatures.
      but for use in a motorcycle with a wet clutch it can (and will, Ifound out) cause the clutch to slip.
      mobil makes a version of its mobil 1 synthetic for motorcycles that has been formulated for use with wet clutches.
      also valvolene makes a synthetic blend for motorcycles, and honda makes a very good synthetic blend.
      regular automotive synthetics are formulated to reduce all friction and will cause a wet type clutch to slip.

Comment

Oil

I want to add a little to focus's last post. It will cause SOME BUT NOT ALL clutches to slip. There are several of us out in GS Land that are using it and not having any problems at all. I have been using it since I got my bike two and a half years ago and no problems at all. Some like it, some dont, some have problems, some don't. So I guess what I'm saying is see if your bike can handle it with no problems, if so then use it, if not don"t.

Comment

The only thing that bothers me about getting some bizzaro oil, (Honda synthetic,eg), is replacement when travelling. If you're not packing extra, you've got to hunt down a Honda shop that carries the damn stuff. If you're in Bum F#$%, Alberta, good luck. 8O I use a good name brand that's readily avalible, (Pennzoil, Castrol, Valvoline, etc), 10/40 that's turbo approved. I figure if it can handle the high temperatures of a turbo, then it should be good enough for my bike. Make sure the oil doesn't have the "Energy Conserving" label in the circle on the back of the bottle. That means it has slippery stuff it that could harm your clutch. 8)
          Kevin
          E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
          "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
          Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Synthetic oil offers no benefits to older, aircooled bikes like GS's so why pay the extra and take the risk of clutch slip?

This one keeps coming back, doesn't it? :roll:

Comment

Yep, good old Castrol GTX since 1973...never a problem with it,and it works fine, so think I'll save my money. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by brit7.11
              Synthetic oil offers no benefits to older, aircooled bikes like GS's so why pay the extra and take the risk of clutch slip?

All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Synthetic oil makes the motor run noticably cooler --whatever that implies

Comment

Hmmm........
                  If that is true ( and no offence, but I'm cautious ) then I'm surprised. 90 odd per cent of the heat produced by the engine is combustion heat and the type of oil used obviously can't affect that. There shouldn't be that much friction heat and if what you say is true, that implies that synthetic oil reduces friction to a considerable degree.
                  Which is where we came in....should you really be reducing friction to that extent in an engine that has a wet clutch?
                  10 years ago I read about a guy who'd had a '77 GS750 from new and had done 90,000 miles using GTX...with no appreciable engine wear. I have my own experiences to back that up. Does that engine have some kind of lubrication problem? I think not.
                  Remember that a main advantage of synthetic oils is to allow much longer change intervals, like 8000 miles in the case of a VFR Honda, this in a plain bearing engine. Most GS owners will not be using this benefit.
                  But hey, its a free world (the bits we live in, anyway!) and an interesting debate. I just hate to see people get sucked up into oil company marketing BS.

Comment

Like somebody already mentioned, synthetic oil is great -if- your oil is getting over 310 degrees F (in the bearing joints.) We used to use synthetic oils in racing engines if after rebuild the oil temp was over 270 degrees in the crankcase. The wisdom is that the oil in the bearings was about 40 degrees F hotter. GS engines have roller bearings, and won't have as large a difference in the bearing oil temp. Castorol GTX is what I have used in every engine I have ever had, built, etc. with the exception of 2 racing engines that were in my opinion too tight anyway. I have never had an oil related breakdown.

Tim

Comment

Hmmm........
                      If that is true ( and no offence, but I'm cautious ) then I'm surprised. 90 odd per cent of the heat produced by the engine is combustion heat and the type of oil used obviously can't affect that. There shouldn't be that much friction heat and if what you say is true, that implies that synthetic oil reduces friction to a considerable degree.
                      Which is where we came in....should you really be reducing friction to that extent in an engine that has a wet clutch?
                      10 years ago I read about a guy who'd had a '77 GS750 from new and had done 90,000 miles using GTX...with no appreciable engine wear. I have my own experiences to back that up. Does that engine have some kind of lubrication problem? I think not.
                      Remember that a main advantage of synthetic oils is to allow much longer change intervals, like 8000 miles in the case of a VFR Honda, this in a plain bearing engine. Most GS owners will not be using this benefit.
                      But hey, its a free world (the bits we live in, anyway!) and an interesting debate. I just hate to see people get sucked up into oil company marketing BS.
                      If you look at it logicaly than synthetic oil should have very little to no afect on temperature but in real life things tend to be differant.
                      a few weeks ago I had ridden down to meet a felow member of the forum (gs1000g, aka renda,aka bambi killer II, LOL) who also has a 80 gs1000g we rode around together and when we stoped for gas she pointed out how much cooler her bike was running than mine.
                      she was running mobil one synthetic, I was running non synthetic honda oil at the time, and I have a oil cooler, she does not.

Comment

There are a dozen other factors which could have caused that. Not saying you're wrong -- not at all, you may be right-- but I'd like to see some evidence and an explanation before I accept that. As a cynical engineer I take some convincing.
                        Anyway, enjoy your GS whatever oil it runs. Over here in the UK hot running isn't exactly a problem, so I'm going to stick to a basic mineral 10/40.

Comment

Hey thanks yall,
                          I really appriciate all the insight into the synthetic oil topic.
                          My 850 has a wet clutch and I wasnt aware the synthetic could affect that. Well bitchin im gonna save some money and stick with my regular 10-40
                          Thanks again
                          Jus 850

Comment

Working...
                          X