Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

water or air pressure to fix tank dents???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

water or air pressure to fix tank dents???

any1 tried hydroforming (water pressure), or air pressure to push out "soft" dents in gas tanks. I personaly hate to use any more filler than absolutely necessary. I normaly would use a suction cup for dents without access behind the dent, (ie. gas tank) but all the cups I have seen are too large for my application, and I am always looking for alternatives.
    anybody tried this? Thanks fellas.

Pete

I used to apply a little air pressure to pop out dents in my dirt bike tank; the big kind where your knee caves it in when you go off. Sometimes a bit of tapping around the edge of the dent with air in the tank will help move the metal and reshape the dent. Just don't use a lot of air; 10 - 15 pounds. Too much pressure can rupture or damage the tank, and cause you injury if it happens.

Jeff

Comment

Re: water or air pressure to fix tank dents???

Originally posted by krash
      any1 tried hydroforming (water pressure), or air pressure to push out "soft" dents in gas tanks. I personaly hate to use any more filler than absolutely necessary. I normaly would use a suction cup for dents without access behind the dent, (ie. gas tank) but all the cups I have seen are too large for my application, and I am always looking for alternatives.

Pete
      A couple of things to consider. Applying pressure to the inside of the tank will tend to "spread" the tank apart rather than pushing out the dent so you will need to restrain the tank to maintain its "U" cross section. Be very cautious using just air...too much and your tank could explode causing serious injury.

Comment

Re: water or air pressure to fix tank dents???

Originally posted by moto_dan
        Originally posted by krash

Pete
        A couple of things to consider. Applying pressure to the inside of the tank will tend to "spread" the tank apart rather than pushing out the dent so you will need to restrain the tank to maintain its "U" cross section. Be very cautious using just air...too much and your tank could explode causing serious injury.
        I can vouch for what Dan is saying...I screwed up a good tank on my old CB750 years ago when I tried that . At the time it seemed like a great idea 8O !

Hap

Comment

Try using dry ice, and a little heat.. with a suction cup..

Comment

COME ON GUYS, ITS ALL BALL BEARINS THESE DAYS 8O

Comment

Carefull I know two people that ruined their tanks using air pressure. It both spread their tanks and created leaks at the seams. I do recall reading somewhere to use very low pressure, like 5 to 10 psi and then use heat on the dented area untill it pops out. Of course first you should rinse out the tank a few times with soapy water untill the smell of gas is gone. Good luck.
              Axel

Comment

Originally posted by rick romero
                COME ON GUYS, ITS ALL BALL BEARINS THESE DAYS 8O
                Okay Fletch do you know this one, " I've got a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you"
                Axel

Comment

If you have a dent puller try getting a bolt like used on toilet floor rings. The ones with the big flat heads or something similar. Hot glue the head of it to the tank and try pulling the dent out. I've seen a tool on Fox News in the mornings that gave me this idea. All they are using is hot glue to stick their tool to the dents they are pulling out.

Comment

Liked the hot glue tip. Shouldn't hurt the paint and you don't even need to remove or drain the tank.
                    Axel

Comment

yea but then what do u when u have a bolt stuck to ur tank?

Comment

You should be able to wiggle it back and forth till it comes loose. Hot glue stays somewhat flexible, kind of like a harder silicone. Or you can soften it up by putting some heat to it.
                        Axel

Comment

worked for me

Paintless dent removal. Nearly a perfect tank with an ouch. Looked in yellow pages, found vendor and was able to remove it to near perfection Thank God and 100 dollars.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
                            If you have a dent puller try getting a bolt like used on toilet floor rings. The ones with the big flat heads or something similar. Hot glue the head of it to the tank and try pulling the dent out. I've seen a tool on Fox News in the mornings that gave me this idea. All they are using is hot glue to stick their tool to the dents they are pulling out.
                            Billy that dent pulling tool "as seen on TV" is available at Walgreens Drug Stores.

Comment

Michael,
                              One thing I've noticed about those hot glue dent pullers on TV is when they pull the tool off it leaves a shallow dent where each end of the tool rested on the body panel. I quess you aren't supposed to see that. I think one of the slide type dent pullers they sell that people use to pop ignition switches would be the thing to try. It would mean rigging up a big flat headed bolt to hot glue to the dent. But I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Comment

Working...
                              X