Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

electronic ign voltage...

1981 GS550...

I have the usual 12+ volts that is supplied to each coil...My question is: when the signal for each coil is generated, what should the voltage be reading on the wire for that coil? I read .55 on the meter for each coil...Is this correct?? Thanks, TUCK

How are you measuring this, and why? There will always be 12 volts applied to the coil. With the action of the points, or ignition unit, the coil is energised and a much higher voltage is generated on the output of the coil. This is called HT (high tension) voltage, not sure how much but probably kV. Do you suspect a coil problem ?

Comment

if your talking about the voltage generated by the signal generators under the right cover that provide the timing signal for the ignition control box to fire the coils, then you dont read voltage but should look for 290-360ohms of resistance.

Comment

Just checking

Yea, but I was just checking to see "IF" it should have voltage...Thanks, all is well...It's a transplant to another bike than runs points..Changing over to the EI setup..

Comment

Working...
        X