Electrical/ignition hassle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrical/ignition hassle

I own 1981 550T and it is a dream to dirve. But recently the following is happening and I have an idea but I would love to have others tell me what they think.

On hot days after a drive(any distance) the bike will not start---if it is real hot it will barely turn over---then eventually turn over fine but not start---when it has cooled down some it will start right up with no problem. It did not do this on cooler or cold days. It is very weird---so when I go somewhere I make sure I stay awhile before I start it and presto it goes.

Any ideas?????

your starter could be getting week, try removing, cleaning and reasemling all the wiring going to the starter and see if that helps any.
    also have your battery tested.

Comment

the starter would be the first suspect, if that doesn't work you could also check the starter solnoid. If the battery is morn than 2 years old you might want to think about replacing it to avoid problems in the future

Comment

This may seem like a weird response, but I had a similar problem on a car a long time ago, and for some bit of twisted reasoning that I never understood, it was caused by cross-firing, most of it between the wires.

Probably the only thing necessary was the thicker plug wires, but I changed everything, plugs, wires, distributor cap, condensor and rotor.

You could try just putting 3/8 inch plastic loom (coiled plastic tubing with a lengthwise split) over your plug wires. That will give them an extra separation, which is the same as having heavier wires/more insulation, and should cost only about a dollar.
        "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
        Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

If it's a NO CRANK, then you probably have a starter issue, on a car I'd say most likely solenoid. If It's a CRANKS, NO FIRE than you can have an arching wire issue.

Comment

Crossed wires?? must have been a ford

Comment

Working...
            X