10W40 or 20W50

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

10W40 or 20W50

I have been reading with interest a few recent posts regarding engine oil. My question is simple. My manual says use 20W50, my oil cover says use 10W40. Forget (for the moment at least) mineral or synthetic, which one should I be using and why.

oil

10 w 40 70,000 miles on my 1100 g and still going strong use SG rated oil and I dont and won't use syn. The sl rated oils on the market are bad on the clutch plates to slick and this isn't even the syn. oils . This information comes from Twin county Suzuki. If it says gas saver on the container or any such thing similar then run like hell was after you .

Comment

10W40 is what I use

I use 10W40 motorcycle-specific mineral oil -- no synthetics. It works just fine on the GS1100GK, just as it did for my four previous GS850's. No oil cooler. I change the oil every 2,000 miles, the filter every other oil change. This has been my routine for 16 years of GS ownership. No lubrication problems of any kind, ever; I top off just a few ounces between changes. I use Suzuki or Honda oil.

Nick

Comment

125,000 miles and I use honda motorcycle 10w40 synthetic blend oil.
        I was using valvoline synthetic blend for motorcycles and like the way the bike ran on it, but wallmart stopped carrying it and I cant find it around here any more.

Comment

I generally use 10-40 in the fall or winter and 20-50 in the summer. GS1100EZ

Comment

Same here, 10w-40 in the cooler days, 20w-50 in the hotter. I use Synthetic, with no problems of slippage. But somewhere I heard/read that Suzi no longer recommends 10w-40? Anyone clue me in on this one?

Comment

10w-40 is a base weight of 10, wearas 20w-50, is a base weight of 20. I believe it's "polymers" that unwind when the oil heats up, giving it the characteristics of heavier oil. But, too many polymers may be bad. And, I think they break down over time. So...20-50? Hmmm...what about the cold weather starts...
              K, use 20w-50, and ride 'hard as hell in cold weather. You'll be fine.

-Sean

Comment

Working...
              X