Aftermarket exhaust for 1980 GS750E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aftermarket exhaust for 1980 GS750E

I would appreciate any input on aftermarket exhaust for a 1980 GS750E. I'm not looking for a drag pipe or anything real loud. I am tossing around two different brands right know. Kerker and Vance & Hines megaphone styles. How do these compare to some lesser brands. Any information will greatly be appreciated, thanks

Kerker and V&H both make quality systems. I had a kerker meg on my 1100ez for 15 years, then decided I wanted something a little more modern looking. I then sold the kerker and bought a V&H supersport system which required a small amount of carb tweeking. From what I've heard, most cheap systems like MAC are used for general replacement and don't require any carb mods besides the quality being less than good(from what I've heard and read).Which ever you decide on you might get one soon because new aftermarket parts for bikes as old as ours are getting pretty hard to come by. www.denniskirk.com dosn't even list kerker megs anymore for '80 GS750E models. But V&H have both the Meg and aluminum can Supersport for your bike. Be aware of some minor jetting changes if all you replace is the exhaust.

Comment

Thanks, Jeff for the information. I'm rebuilding the carbs and would like to move the jetting up now and hopefully be close on the jetting. I thought I would go up 1 size on the jet and one knotch on needle. When you changed your exhaust from meg to canister, did it quiet it down some. You got the newer look, did you get the newer sound too. If I choose the canister type, I will have to remove my center stand, and It is a little more in price. So, do you think performance and sound are better with the canister.

Comment

When I had the Kerker pipe I also bought the competition baffle which I used most of the time. To me it sounded great, but It was pretty loud when you'd get on it. The stock baffle had a nice tone but there was an obvious difference in the power band. The stocker was great for low and mid range power but FELT too restrictive. The Comp really let it breathe , but at a slight low-end loss. Now the V&H is actually very quiet toowith the stock baffle . But once again I sprang for the Comp baffle and the set of restrictor "tubes" that slide in the collector for fine tuning the power band. I found that the mid sized one is a good compromise. I think it sounds great, but I did have to go up one size on the pilot jets. As for the center stand... I took mine off way back when I got the kerker as I didn't like the slight mods that had to be done to retain it. I just slip it on and screw the bolts in when I change oil or remove the rear wheel etc. I have the stage 3 kit and pod filters on mine so YOUR jetting requirements are going to depend on the extent of your intake and exhaust mods. If you do your own jetting changes be sure and write everything down, especially the STOCK settings and the all other changes after that. I think you'd be happy with either brand of pipe and they both require about the same amount of jetting to be their best. it just boils down to availibility, price, looks and sound. Hope this helps some.

Comment

I put a Jardine on my '78 GS750 and kept my centre stand and the pipe can stay on during oil and filter changes. Jetting was required as I put pod type air filters on also. 8)
          Kevin
          E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
          "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
          Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

GS750E Man,

Go online to Dennis Kirk, and order their 2001 catalog...it has things in it I couldn't find on the website...namely, 3 or 4 or exhaust systems (including a stock looking 4 into 2) for 80-83 GS750E's. Mine is an 81 GS750E. Good luck

Comment

Sorry...go online and order the 2002 catalog...duh. :mrgreen:

Comment

i just got a vance&hines 4 to 1 megaphone today. it was a snap to install and ive been havin lots of fun with it. it flows alot better then the stock exaust and ive noticed a lot more acceleration. the next thing im gonna do is rejet the carbs and ive been told there will be much more power it sounds great and was the best 250 ive spent in a long time.
                Jus850
                gs850gt

Comment

Sorry to inform you guys but the Vance & Hines Pro Supersport Exhaust model 12301 for 80-83 1100's and 750's is no longer available. My brother tried to order two and was told he got the last one States side. So if any one can get one please let me know, I need a spare.

Andre

Comment

Vance and hines's website does not list them anymore but Dennis Kirks say they are expected in stock soon... hmmm, who knows? Glad I got mine when I did.

Comment

Just a suggestion but some years back I was looking for an inexpensive exhaust for my '82 GS1100E. The pipe I wanted was discontinued so I called the manufacturer (Supertrapp) direct. They still had some and sold me one at a MUCH reduced price.
                      Axel

Comment

I found V&H supesport exhaust system part # 12301 at www.parts411.com These are for 80-83 750e and 1100e. Just in case anyone is looking for one. $320.62.

Comment

check out

for that V&H pipe they got some good prices
                          Jus850

Comment

The 12301 Vance & Hines Supersport header is listed on all kinds of websites, but there are none. When you order online or make a stock inquiry, you will get a reply stating they are unavailable. They list them but don't stock them.

Good Luck

Andre

Comment

The pipe i got was part 12001 its the megaphone exuast 4 to 1.
                              Its listed on that tgsportbike site for bout 270$ theyre in stock too.
                              The prosport one i dont know about

Comment

Working...
                              X