Doing basegasket, ran into a hangup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doing basegasket, ran into a hangup

I am currently doing all the gaskets on my bike due to massive leaks, and have run into a problem. I went to remove the block, or barrells, and I've almost got it off but it's sticking on the stud on te exhaust side inbetween cylinder 2 and camchain. I believe it is just extremely corroded, but I NEED TO GET IT OFF OF THERE TOMORROW! I left penetrating oil in the hole ontop of the stud, but if this doesn't free it up, I need other ideas. Any help would be apreciated, as I don't want to cut the stud and then have to replace the stud. Thank you, Ben Reilly 78 GS750EC

Assuming that all of the bolts have been removed and nothing is in the way I would try to gently pry up on the block with a 2x2 piece of wood

Comment

Hmmm, DejaVu.... I tapped the stud inside the hole with a small brass drift while lifting. She came right off.

Tim

Comment

I had a similar thing happen. It was dirt and oil holding it on, took a fair bit to work it off there. Watch out for dirt falling down along the stud and onto the crank.

It could be some baked on tar. Maybe try gently warming it.

Comment

It's off

Well, warming, tapping, penetrating oil, rocking back and forth, using a heavy duty jack (albiet still a scissor jack), swearing, yelling, pulling and crying did nothing... but I did get it off... by using the block as a slide hammer... yes, the thing that's supposed to be treated gently. I pulled up as fast as I could till it stopped and jammed, then pushed down until it was free and just above piston heads, then another fast hard upmotion, for about half an hour, then POP! I damn near fell off the alignment rack I was doing this on, but she came off and wasn't damaged. Then on reassembly I lost a little rubber thing that goes on the top of the head on the outside of the cam to keep the oil in and I still can't ride her... dealer says 5-7 days and 5 bucks... oh well

Comment

Working...
          X