Newbie needs help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie needs help

Hey guys hows it going. Well i'm new to the form but i have been looking at this page for as long as i can remember. I ride a GS1100G (well its really a GK but i striped it so i just say its a G). Its my first bike got it when i was 12 and started riding it at 16 (WOW what a first bike, i'm now 18). Anyway i need a new exhaust in the worst way. I was been searching around the net and some things are troubling me. According to the Motor cycle accessories web page most of the exhaust systems of the 4 valve per cyclinder GS1100's will fit my bike. So what i need to know is how big is the exhaust flanges on my motor, is it the same as a GS1000 or a GS1100 4 valve. There are a few systems i'm considering. They are: the first one made by Jardine is made for a GS850G/GS100G and is a 4-1 cansiter system (PN. 1444). Would this work on my GS1100G, i have been told yes but i dont trust the guy the told me. My second choice is a MAC system again its a 4-1 canister system made for varous GS1100's with a 4 valve head on it (PN. 8030601). Now i like both of these cuz they claim that access to the filter and oil drain plug is the same as stock. I have also look at Vance&Hines megaphone system and i was wondering can you still access the filter and drain plug with this kit on or does it need to be taken off to change the oil. I'm sorry guys if this is a little long :? but could you please help me in any way possible and any feed back of experence/reviews of these systems or others i should check out. Thanx a bunch. Long live the GS 8)

Hey, man...

Go to Denniskirk.com and roam around. If they carry a kit for your bike, it will specify whether or not oil filter/drain plug access is restricted. Hope that helps you out. Ride safe.
    Mike
    Charleston, SC

Comment

Newbie needs help

Dennis Kirk will usually tell you whether or not access is restricted on a system. I used that to research, but I still bought my system through my shop - he'll usually match or come close to internet prices and he does great work.
      I bought the Vance & Hines megaphone for my GS1100e. I had a Kerker 4-1 that worked fine, but you had to take it off to change the oil/filter. The Vance & Hines has a little less ground clearance, but retains access. Which is not to say it's not still a bitch. I've got an aftermarket oil cooler and that has to be disconnected and five little acorn nuts removed. Very tedious slow job with the pipes on, but you can do it. Much better than the Kerker. I change oil/filter every 2000 miles and for me that's only 5-6 weeks, so something had to get easier.
      "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." Bishop Helder Camara

"Beware of the man with only one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

82 GS1100E....black w/WC fairing and plenty o corrosion and low levels of attention

Comment

i have a 1980 gs850g,and have the v&h 4 to1 .no problems
        changing the oil . look at 4-2 pipes so you don,t have to rejet,
        if you want 4-1 thev&h has a nice deep sound you can get
        for about 300.00 look around dennis kirk prices are higher
        alot of times

len

Comment

No recommendation on the exhaust for you, but please note, if you go for the higher-performance 4 into 1 exhaust on a GK engine, your engine brathing will be changed, so you should also look at carburetor modifications to match the new exhaust system.
          "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
          Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Working...
          X