Dead Tach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dead Tach

I recently replaced my sad, guage cluster on my GS750ES with a working one, except the owner said the tach didn't work. I figured the problem was that little circuit board/sending unit that attaches to the tach servo, so I replaced it with the one that was working on my original one. Also, I checked the tach servo (that makes the needle move) by attaching 12v to it, and it buried the needle, so I figure that's working fine. Tach still doesn't work. I replaced the little diode under the rear guage cover. Tach still doesn't work. The tach is getting juice and a good ground to it. It makes no sense to me why it doesn't work. And, I can't use my old tach because the needle jumps all over the place like, +/- 1500 rpm of the actual. Your input is appreciated.

-Sean

Dead Tach

Hey Shawn,

I had the same problem with my tach on my bike. On the GS450, the tach reads right from the cam. My tach went. I tightened it up and had limited success. A few hundred miles later, so did my cam..and subsequently, my head was toast..As I went thru the rebuilding of my bike it became apparent that the tach failure was a sign that the cam was off and the grooves were not insync (sorry for typing that)...

Its a 2 hour job, but you can check this and you may save your head...

Mark

Comment

My tach is dead as well

I have a GS450 like elguappo said. Tach is dad and feeds into the cam. Is this a sign of bad times ahead based on his epxerience.

Help a newbie save his bike

Comment

When you say the cam was off and the grooves were not insync? What do I need to do to correct this or at least check to see if that is the case with my dead tach?

Comment

Re: Dead Tach

Originally posted by SBahr
          I recently replaced my sad, guage cluster on my GS750ES with a working one, except the owner said the tach didn't work. I figured the problem was that little circuit board/sending unit that attaches to the tach servo, so I replaced it with the one that was working on my original one. Also, I checked the tach servo (that makes the needle move) by attaching 12v to it, and it buried the needle, so I figure that's working fine. Tach still doesn't work. I replaced the little diode under the rear guage cover. Tach still doesn't work. The tach is getting juice and a good ground to it. It makes no sense to me why it doesn't work. And, I can't use my old tach because the needle jumps all over the place like, +/- 1500 rpm of the actual. Your input is appreciated.

-Sean
          Check to see if you are getting any signal on the wire going to the tach..That may be your problem. The other guys are talking about a mechanical tach.

Hap

Comment

Working...
          X